• Show
Clear All
  • skillybob
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Cedar Park, Texas
    • BT3100

Holbren Jointer Knifes

Well, looks like I found that missing finishing nail and now I have a nice set of nicks in my jointer knives - which i am presently grinding out as a rainy day project (never thought I would talk about rainy days in Texas!).

I want to get a second set of knives to have around and after searching around on the net , Boy, are prices all over the map.

Holbren Machinery has a set that has a really good price and I was wondering if anybody has an opinion of them. If I recall correctly, Brian Holbren is a member of this forum and seems to be doing the right thing with his business and all. The knives that I need are for a Jet 6 inch Jointer and were running about 15 bucks a set. This price is really low and of course really appealing.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

here's a trick... offset one of your now nicked jointer knives a tiny fraction of an inch left and another right and leave one where it is. The line being left at the nick will magically disappear. Usually there's enough play to permit this - once.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-21-2009, 03:20 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've had enough dealings with Brian (Gumpper) from Holbren to know that even his lower priced items are worth buying, and he'll stand behind them if you're not satisfied. He also offers low shipping and 10% to BT members using "BT310" code...I'd give them a try.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• billwmeyer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Weir, Ks, USA.
        • BT3000

Loring,
        That is a great tip! Why didn't I think of that. I was about to order a set myself for my Ryobi 1301. I never thought to look to Holbren for that either.

Oops! I read this as planer for some reason. Anyway, I just offset my planer knives. I will see if that works.

Bill
        Last edited by billwmeyer; 10-21-2009, 11:19 PM. Reason: Mistake
        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Heed Loren on moving the blade a hair which is standard procedure when a slight nick occurs. And if you need blades.. I have not used the Holbren jointer blades but I have used the 20" planer blades which are also a good price considering most of those start at around $100. Good so far which is only around 2000 linear feet at this point so far.

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

+1 on dealing with Holbren. They will always stand behind what they sell. You could also give him a call before you buy if you have any specific questions.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

I have a set of Holbren jointer knives and I am happy with them. Delivered quickly and on time and they work as well as any other set of knives.
              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I currently am running the Holbren knives on my 6" Jet jointer. They are holding up as well as the OEM knives that came with the jointer and cost 4x as much. They also work as well as the OEM knives did. For what I paid I kinda thought that they wouldn't last as long as the original knives but they have so I'd recommend you give them a try.

Comment

• skillybob
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Cedar Park, Texas
                  • BT3100

As usual, solid suggestions from good people. I'll try the offset trick as suggested and I'm going to order the knives from Holbren - it's a pleasure to support the members of this group whenever possible. Thanks.

Comment

• tkarlmann
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
                    • BT3100

what Jointer do you have?

I just ordered some today for my Ridgid 6" on sale for $21.21. These are Freud C-400 blades. Oops, the ones for your model are not on sale as mine were. Link:

http://www.woodworkingshoppe.com/ind...ter+blades&c=1
                    Last edited by tkarlmann; 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM.
                    Thom

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I have a set of Holbren knives on my jointer right now and they seem every bit as good as the OEM ones.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

Working...