• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
    I believe that I'm going with the Footprint chisels shown here. I'll getting three - 1/2", 3/4" and 1" which seems to me to be a good spread for carpentry. I'm surprised that there are no guards with these chisels. I posted to them to be sure and if not will buy them separately. I've been using homemade guards made from folded cereal box cardboard and held together with masking tape. Crude but it works. Man, I didn't think that this would be this involved. Your inputs gave me more to ponder, though, and the opportunity to make a more informed and better choice!

Many thanks to all!

Chiz

I think you put in the wrong link. Check it out as I'm so easily confused.

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I corrected the link, CM. Sorry 'bout the confusion. I then checked it to be sure that it worked. I understand your dilemma since I suffer from the same.

I stand correct on the full tang on the Stanleys as well. The steel cap was on my mind but I forgot that it wasn't a through tang. Those chisels have taken a good bit of abuse with no signs of failure in the handles.
      Last edited by ironhat; 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM.
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by ironhat
        I believe that I'm going with the Footprint chisels shown here. I'll getting three - 1/2", 3/4" and 1" which seems to me to be a good spread for carpentry. I'm surprised that there are no guards with these chisels. I posted to them to be sure and if not will buy them separately. I've been using homemade guards made from folded cereal box cardboard and held together with masking tape. Crude but it works. Man, I didn't think that this would be this involved. Your inputs gave me more to ponder, though, and the opportunity to make a more informed and better choice!

Many thanks to all!
        Check Amazon's prices before ordering from WC....
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

I have 1 or 2 sets of this 6 piece set of Footprint chisels. I bought a couple because I was thinking of selling them but never did. They are brand new in the box. Price is $50 delivered to your door if you want them.

http://www.amazon.com/Footprint-1231...5472445&sr=1-3

I also have a 4 piece set of Crowns brand new but I don't think you want to beat on them with a carpenters hammer.

Got a set of Japanese chisels too but they're probably not right for the job.
          Brian
          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          www.holbren.com

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

PM sent, Brian.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• just started
              • Mar 2008
              • suburban Philly

Originally posted by Holbren
              I have 1 or 2 sets of this 6 piece set of Footprint chisels. I bought a couple because I was thinking of selling them but never did. They are brand new in the box. Price is $50 delivered to your door if you want them.

http://www.amazon.com/Footprint-1231...5472445&sr=1-3

I also have a 4 piece set of Crowns brand new but I don't think you want to beat on them with a carpenters hammer.

Got a set of Japanese chisels too but they're probably not right for the job.
              PM sent on the others.

Comment

• makulay
                Handtools only
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Pappy
                I have the 4 pc set of Record cushion grip chisels from HD, now sold under the Irwin brand. According to the web write up, they are still made by Marples in Sheffield. No complaints at all about them. Not as good as my Sorby's, but they aren't expected to be.
                hehe.
                nice.

Comment

Working...