• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Need a chisel suggestion for a gift.

I just had a guy widen my shed doors so that I could get the 'new' tractor in (the wife's car has been sitting out for two years - ouch!). He also did some other work and he treated my house as though it was his. He was conscientious, prompt, skilled and polite. I noticed that he had some Stanley contractor's chisels with the chunky handles - I still have the old style ones with the yellow, plastic handles - and complimented the big handles on his. He told me that the steel was too soft and that they didn't hold an edge very well. I shouldn't be surprised.

Fast forward to end of job. He tallied the hours and knocked off $40 bucks because we arranged for him to return to do more of the work that I no longer can do. I'd kind of like to get him some better chisels and give them to him after the next job. I am just not familiar with contractors chisels so would you folks like to give me your suggestions?!

As always, TIA!
    Last edited by ironhat; 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM.
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Well, Sorby and Lie-Nielsen chisels are top quality, but also top dollar. A good compromise might be some Crowns... good quality, and about a third the cost of the "Cadillacs". You can get Crown at WC, as well as other places.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

I have read where "Two Cherries" get good reviews. Again not cheap and they are carried by Holbren.com, he's a member here and gives a 10% discount to other members by entering a code (BT310) at check out. I am not a chisel expert either (read that as chisel dummy) but these popped in my head when I read your post. Nice of you to do this for someone, more of that would make this a better world.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I have the 4 pc set of Record cushion grip chisels from HD, now sold under the Irwin brand. According to the web write up, they are still made by Marples in Sheffield. No complaints at all about them. Not as good as my Sorby's, but they aren't expected to be.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by Pappy
          I have the 4 pc set of Record cushion grip chisels from HD, now sold under the Irwin brand. According to the web write up, they are still made by Marples in Sheffield. No complaints at all about them. Not as good as my Sorby's, but they aren't expected to be.
          I have heard that the quality on these may be suspect. They have been a good buy for years so they still might be worth a try.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have a set of Marples "blue beaters" I purchased in 1978 that are about 1 1/4" shorter than when I purchased them. They handle my DT chopping task. But the Irwin version IMO is not as bad as some may make it appear to be. Is the metal softer now and won't hold and edge as long as the original made with Sheffield steel. Probably not..

I just ordered a 1/8" Irwin-Marples to replace one that came up missing as I do need one that narrow for small 1:8 and 1:14 DT's. I ordered the Irwin 1/8" for around $12 for the individual from Highland WW. It came relatively sharp as I used it before I had a chance to take off the machine marks on the back and polish and the same on the bevel.

Probably not the qaulity of the original Marples but again IMO a very good value for the money. I doubt it will hold an edge as well as my Ashley Isle's but I had no intention of paying $28 for an AI 1/8". I do know how to sharpen which after initial flattening the back takes only about 5 minutes per chisel with sand-paper.

An up-grade unless he just needs an American butt chisel similar to the Stanley's as many carpenters do.

Good luck...

Comment

• dkerfoot
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Holland, Michigan
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by ironhat
              I noticed that he had some Stanley contractor's chisels with the chunky handles - I still have the old style ones with the yellow, plastic handles - and complimented the big handles on his. He told me that the steel was too soft and that they didn't hold an edge very well.
              Were they the Stanley Fat Max ones? I have a set of Fat Max's and am very pleased with them - great handles and the steel holds an edge quite well in my opinion. One of the problems with Stanley is that they have so many different products and change them so often, that it is always hard to make comparisons.
              Doug Kerfoot
              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              KeyLlama.com

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004

Thanks for the input so far. gents. For clarification, he does need a set of carpenters chisels which he can strike so a through-tang is necessary. I looked at the Fat Max's online and they look a bit different than his but hey, models change all the time. These are the ones from Stanley that I have and they hold an edge fine. But, then again, they are 25+ years old - different days, to be sure. THe search continues!
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

I think you are on the right track with the stanleys. you don't want anything too expensive for carpenter's chisels, they get very abused. I have a set of through-tang craftsman chisels that are very good. Mine are made in USA, I don't know if the newer ones are.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I would think that if you can find a set of Irwin/Marples made in Sheffield, England, not the newer ones made in China, that they'd definitely be a step up from the cheap Stanleys. You might also want to check out Hartville's Narex and MHG brands. These might still available from someone on Woodnet.

Last edited by Knottscott; 07-05-2008, 01:39 PM.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

The Stanley's you showed look almost idenical to a set of Craftsman I purchased at Sears in 1973. Nothing wrong with Craftsman or Stanley in those days. I still have the Craftsmans for my carpenter use. You can also open 55 gallan drums with them also which is along the lines of how carpenters use them. Still going strong in that role and are not for sale at any price as they are the first set I personally owned.

Good luck with your search....

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

I have seen the Marples Blue chip on Ebay, in a 6 piece set, for less then the new China Irwins, that replaced them (by about $10).

I believe Holbren stopped carrying chisels all together, as he has a closeout on them a while back (I missed it ).

There are some Footprint chisels that look a lot like the old Blue chip, and are made in Shefield.

Then, if you wife likes garage sales (like my mother and sister), you may be able to find some better old ones (I am the only user that they didn't find any for, yet one of the ones they did, HAS YET TO SHARPEN THEM. He just beats harder. )

The Two Cherry's are similar to another one (that I can't remember right now, DOH), and most people that I have read, prefer the non polished, as they say the mat finish ones are easier to flatten.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• just started
                          • Mar 2008
                          • suburban Philly

I was just looking through the new Woodcraft catalog that came today and they have a set of 4 all steel, made in the USA carpenters chisels. Here is a link to them

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=297

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
                            Thanks for the input so far. gents. For clarification, he does need a set of carpenters chisels which he can strike so a through-tang is necessary. I looked at the Fat Max's online and they look a bit different than his but hey, models change all the time. These are the ones from Stanley that I have and they hold an edge fine. But, then again, they are 25+ years old - different days, to be sure. THe search continues!

Those Stanley's are the ones I like for all around use. I've got a few sets of them from 1/4" to 2" and have no complaints. They take a beating. They don't have a full tang to the cap, which provides some impact softening. They also have the traditional handle which differs from the Fat Max. I've got other chisels that I use a lot for paring, but I still prefer the Stanley's.

Comment

• ironhat
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004

I believe that I'm going with the Footprint chisels shown here. I'll getting three - 1/2", 3/4" and 1" which seems to me to be a good spread for carpentry. I'm surprised that there are no guards with these chisels. I posted to them to be sure and if not will buy them separately. I've been using homemade guards made from folded cereal box cardboard and held together with masking tape. Crude but it works. Man, I didn't think that this would be this involved. Your inputs gave me more to ponder, though, and the opportunity to make a more informed and better choice!

Many thanks to all!
                              Last edited by ironhat; 07-06-2008, 02:29 PM. Reason: Inserted the correct link to the Footprint chisels
                              Blessings,
                              Chiz

Comment

Working...