• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Handplane Pics

In the past year or so, I've been slowly building up a collection of handplanes. I'm as much a fan of the novelty of these beautiful "old-school" contraptions as I am a user. Last month I picked up a Scheppach Tiger sharpening system that's really enhanced my ability to sharpen the irons, which really enhances the plane's ability to do it's job. I dare say my collection has doubled in the past 8 months....none are very fancy but most are good users. The Bailey #6, Record #04, and Miller Falls #14 are currently the pride of my fleet but are also the newest to me. I'd love to see pics of your planes regardless of how humble or impressive they may be.

Here's mine:
    Group pic: (Absent - Record #4)

Bailey 5 & 6, Miller Falls #14, Craftsman #5:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0130.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	749.2 KB
ID:	792556
    Bailey Sweetheart #4, Stanley Defiance #4, Craftsman #4, Fulton (I think it's a #3 equivalent):

Name:	100_0131.jpg
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	792557
    Here's the Record #4 that's out being tuned up by someone who knows what they're doing:

Name:	Record #4.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	792558
    Last edited by Knottscott; 12-09-2008, 12:45 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

That's a pretty impressive collection. Sure beats the two I have.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Nice collection!

I only have a few planes, but have started looking around.

How do you store your planes? I just can't find room for them.

JR
      JR

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I store most of them in a couple of drawers....the big wooden 22incher has a hinged box of it's own. They don't seem to take up too much room that way.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Really nice collection you have there.

I started collecting planes a while back but found I didnt have the room for storage or display. Now I am mainly building up a nice set so I can actually use them. I find bits and pieces at garage and rummage sales, build them into ones that work for me and sell off the rest.

I have had an antique wooden moulding plane sitting around for a while but have no idea if its worth anything (I doubt it). Its a 1/2" roundover and has "Edwards & Co." stamped on the side. The orginal owner (or maker) also stamped his name on the ends "C.W. Butland."

Do any of you collectors know what this type of plane is actually worth and is anybody interested in owning it as I am sure I wont ever use it and its just gathering dust in my shop. I will try and post some pics later.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd love to see some pics of other's collections....

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Here are some pics of the plane I mentioned. If anybody knows anything about this type of plane let me know and as I mentioned if anybody wants it PM or email me. I guess I should put it in the classified section but at this point I am trying to find out more infor about it.
              Attached Files
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                • Nov 2004
                • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                • Delta Contractor Saw

It was 102 degrees in my shop so there won't be any orderly photo like the first in the thread. Here's my monster tool cabinet and my family of hand planes.
                Last edited by MikeMcCoy; 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Hoover
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • USA.

There are 30 to 40 planes in my stable. Several of my recent purchases:
                  The top picture a Millers Falls #11 same as Stanley 5 1/4
                  The middle is a Union #3
                  The lower one a Sargent #79 same as Stanley #78

There are others but I don't have the pictures on file.
                  Attached Files
                  No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've got a molding plane along the lines of Jon's. Picked up last summer at an antique show while vacationing for our 25th. Mine's got the name of some guy from Troy, NY engraved in it. I think it was ~ $10, so not incredibly valuable, but very cool nonetheless....a nice momento!

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

I've got a fair-sized collection but only a couple are nicely polished. I've refurbished some by taking them apart and soaking rusted parts in household vinegar to loosen the rust, which leaves a dark oxide coating behind. Since I plan to use all of them, I don't worry much about how new or old they look.

I do need a better sharpening system, especially for abused irons. Scary sharp takes a lot of time when I have to essentially restore the bevel from scratch.

Comment

• 182much
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Norco, CA

I could cry....long story

Back in the late '60's brother #2 was given our great-great grandfather's wood wooking tools, which he used to make his living.
                        The set had some 27 different planes, ranging from jointers to molding planes with wooden screw adjustments for width. There was also his "apprentice malet" which was a black walnut knot which was about 8" in dia.
                        About 10 years later I was given these, but since I was in my 20's and single and no permanent place to "light", I left these at my Mom's house for safe keeping.
                        Bro #2 mistood this for me not wanting them, and gave them to Bro #1 which I didnt find out about till both had passed away.
                        Now bro #1's daughter has them, and I'm not the kind to fight over them.
                        If I ever get over to her place (some 500 miles away) I'll take some pics and post them

Comment

Working...