• Show
Clear All
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

Hand Tool Gloat

Went garage saleing yesterday. One advantage of being self-employed is carving out a couple of hours Friday morning when everyone else is at work. Had a good feeling about one when I noticed there were no clothes racks. I felt even better when I saw there were two old guys sitting outside the garage and everything intended for sale was inside the garage.

Picked up a craftsman rabbet filletster plane #3720. It is basically a Stanley 78. I have since seen conflicting information on whether it was made by Stanley, Sargent or Millers Falls. Doesn't really matter as I intend to us it as a tool with which to make pretty things for display - Not display it as a pretty thing itself.

Amazingly good shape - just enough wear to show that it was used for it's intended purpose, but with care. All japanning intact, with a couple small rust spots on the outer edge. No missing parts. Even has the original box. Paid $15 : )

The attached photo is not of my actual plane, but if I took a picture it would be hard to find any differences. I put it to some wood without even sharpening it and it worked fairly well as is. The blade was worn back a fair bit on the right side which sees just about all the use (since it is a rabbeting plane). Using a Veritas MK II and sandpaper, I ground the bevel back about 90% of the way it needs to go before my arms gave out and I quit for the day. I'll be getting back to work on it soon. I am looking forward to taking the first cut with a freshly honed edge!

I also picked up a few old chisel blades with missing or broken handles for $0.50 each, including a 1/2" paring chisel that will keep me from having to purchase a new one.

I also found a very interesting tool that I want to photograph to see if anyone can guess what it is.

All in all a very satisfying morning!
    Attached Files
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Congratulations Doug, that's a winner!
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Nice find, Doug. Why can't I find a garage sale like that? I'm sick of seeing nothing but baby clothes.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

I believe that your rabbeting & fillester plane was made by Sargent. The model # is a 79. The Millers Falls and the Stanley do not have the front "horn" like the Sargent does.
        Attached Files
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

For some reason, I just can't drive past a garage sale. You're so right about no clothes hanging. Some think it's best to get to one early for the pickins. Others think it's best to get there late so they reduce prices. I still don't know the answer, except to get there. You got a great deal.

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

That's the one! Thanks for the information - that is very helpful.
            Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Wow...nice find!
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• bthere
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Alpharetta, GA

Great deal and a very handy tool. I'm jealous.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Didn't know the mfg, but the front horn caught my eye, too.

Great find!
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

Thanks all - I got it tuned up and sharpened yesterday. It really does work sweet. I still have some work to do on my technique, but I can tell I will get some good use out it.

All of my kitchen and bathroom cabinets were built by the original owner of my 100 year old house and the solid wood doors are all rabbeted. A few years ago while painting I really struggled because the paint had built-up in the rabbets and it is darn hard to sand ancient calcified paint out of a rabbet. While I do plan to use the plane mostly for routing new rabbets, it will be very handy in cleaning up the old ones next time I paint the kitchen.

Best of all, I now have another task I can perform without safety glasses, hearing protection, respirator and dust collector!
                    Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...