• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Handplanes - Record #4 vs Bailey #4

For those of you in the know....which of these two #4's is a better tool? I think the Bailey is older and has a Sweetheart blade. Not sure how old the Record is but it's in newer shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture061.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	791881 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-741f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	791882
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

The Stanley, from what I can see in the picture, looks to be a Type 11 (1910-18) or 12 (1919-24). The low front knob, smooth lever cap, and small adjusting nut are the things that I noticed. Properly tuned, this would be an excellent plane.

I can't speak for either the age or quality of the Record but almost any plane with a cast iron base can be tuned with satisfactory results.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks Pappy!
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

If you have the chance to hold them, that might be the determining factor. Which feels better in YOUR hands? One of the reasons the front knob grew higher over time is because more people prefer it. But, more important would be that everything fits tight and moves smoothly. By appearances, they look like very functional planes.

If they are being sold online, be sure to get a photo of the sole - you want to make sure there are no chips around the mouth. It is also helpful to see the cutter to ensure it isn't greatly pitted, etc.
        Doug Kerfoot
        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...