X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jovani
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007

Must have router bits set list

I heard of several forums that came up with a must have list of router bits set. They range from four to eight bits sets.

Anyone has information on the sources where this information came from? Also, in your experience, what would you consider the must have 8 bits set?
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I suppose everyone's list will vary a bit depending on what you like and what you do.

These are the bits I'd most want to have:
    - roundover (1/4" or 3/16" & 3/8")
    - cove
    - chamfer
    - ogee or classical
    - 1/4" straight
    - straight pattern bit w/bearing
    - table edge thumbnail
    - rabbet

There's no way I'd settle on just 8 though. I'd really want to add a raised panel set, a beading bit, box core bit, dovetail set, queen ann bit and/or thumbnail.

Holbren and Hartville both offer a great Whiteside set that has the 7 most common profiles. $80 shipped with the "BT310" discount from Holbren...premium American made cutters that'll perform well, last along time, can be resharpened, and will get used. Then you can add a couple of single bits as needed to comlete your collection.

Last edited by Knottscott; 03-09-2008, 06:09 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

1/4" straight
      1/2" straight
      1/4" roundover
      3/8" roundover
      flushtrim
      ogee
      chamfer
      cove

With those 8 you can do a lot. After those I would probably put a stile and rail set and maybe a door/table edge bit of my liking. But really, who could narrow it down to just 8?
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

If I were rich, I would have one of those large sets, as a timesaver for going out and getting that one bit.

I am not and for me the best value is sets of bits that vary in size and are commonly used. A set of straight (dado, groove, rabbet) bits, a set of roundover, if you use different size ogee bits, a set of them. It has been discussed here before, but I think the general consensious is getting a set with no more then about 30 bits, will tell you what bits your going to use, then you buy better replacements (and maybe other sizes).
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Thalermade
          • Dec 2002
          • Ohio
          • BT 3000

Wood Magazine, October 2003 (pages 38 & 40) 6 must have bits:
          1/8 inch round-over
          1/4 inch round-over
          1/2 inch straight with 1 inch cutting length
          1/2 inch flush-trim with 1 inch cutting length
          45 degree chamfer
          Rabbeting bit with bearing set.

Next 10
          5/8 & 1/4 cove
          Ogee
          slot-cutter
          pattern
          3/8 roundnose (core box bit)
          3/8 roundover
          drawer lock
          rail & stile set
          raised panel

Hope this helps. I used to own an "inexpensive" 66 piece set. After using just a few, I had to buy 5 other bits between several projects. I ended up selling the big set, and I am just buying what I need when I need it.

Russ

Comment

• jovani
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2007

router bits

Thanks for the information guys. Jovani

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

I've got 10: 1/4" straight, 12" straight, 3/4" straight, 1/4" ro, 3/8" ro, flush trim, 5/32" roman ogee, 1/2" core box, 14 degree dovetail, and 45 degree chamfer
              Alex

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by Wood_workur
                I've got 12" straight,

I could use that 12" straight instead of my planer, on my guide system.

If only.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...