• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luckbox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Holly Springs, NC

Microjig table saw splitter

Does anyone have any experience with the Microjig table saw splitter? I bought a used Ridgid TS3650, which was missing the guard and splitter. Since then I have I attached board buddies to the rip fence, which appear to work very well. I have looked at Sears and through the ridgid parts to purchase the guard and splitter but I am not sure how much I would really use them. I hardly ever used the guard on the old saw, but I always had a splitter attached. I know the guard and splitter are important safety equipment, but I usually find that the guard obscures your vision of the blade.

Peachtree Woodworking has the Miicrojig table saw splitter http://www.ptreeusa.com/mjsplitter.htm and was wondering if this really works and advertised. I would like to be able to install a splitter to the saw and for half the price of the whole guard and splitter, and it is really the only part that I used anyways.
    I love lamp.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

This won't tilt with the blade, and I have been reading of more problems with it lately (namely getting pinched and pulled out of the holes). Even if you don't want a blade guard (although I would recommend one with a dust chute), I would recommend contacting Lee Styron instead, for a Shark guard setup (or at least his splitter).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

MJ has a new coated metal "Pro" model that offers big improvements over their earlier plastic splitters. ~ $30 IIRC. Have read some good reports on those.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I'll admit I'm still an amateur at this but using a tablesaw without a guard just scares me. So much so that while writing this note, I realized I need a new push shoe for use with my dado set that has a platform below the handle thick enough that the dado blade won't cut through. A fellow I know who runs a woodworking school near Oakland, California built guards for all of his crosscut sleds. He's obsessive about safety.

The degree of risk we're willing to take is an individual decision but if the guards on my saws broke, I'd replace them right away. I feel like I need to watch where the stock meets the fence and where my hands are with respect to the blade guard more than I need to see where the stock meets the blade.

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I love it. The only time mine comes off is when I'm cutting bevels - rarely.

I have never had it lift out - 4 years use!

You can see it peeking thru ...

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

Working...