• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJFrank
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • NJ, USA.

Ryobi one+ right angle drill vs Right Angle Attachment

I've been doing some home renovation and need a Right Angle Drill, it doesn't make sense for me to buy an expensive drill as it will see occasional use. Link to Ryobi Drill http://www.oneplustools.com/drill/p240

Question is, will the ryobi be able to drill holes up to 1" in diameter or will it be underpowered? Also considering a right angle attachment for my standard drills. this is through 2x material for wires, pipes etc.

Any thoughts wb great, the few reviews I have found re: the Ryobi don't address bits like 1"

Thanks
  • Crash2510
    • Feb 2006
    • North Central Ohio

Why can't you use a regular drill for this app. can you drill the hole at a slight angle or lower in the joist? more info would be helpful

as for the use of the ryobi
    it depends on the type of drill bit

I would say it has plenty of power to drill the holl with a spade bit but would not trust it on a large auger bit.

drill only has a 3/8 chuck and 120 in/lbs of torque so it would be underpowered for the "nail eaters" typically used for drilling the holes for your application
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker

Comment

• Dale In Corona
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2005
      • Corona, CA, USA.

I use an adapter that is somewhat like the one pictured here:

The problems with it are:
      • Regular drill bits don’t fit in the thing you have to have the ones designed for use in the quick change chucks (the bits that look like a hex head on the mounting end)
      • Mine is not magnetic, nor do the bits lock in so I have to be careful what angle I work at and I have to use caution that the bit does not fall out.

In short, if I had to do it over again, I would probably pick up a right angle drill rather than an adapter, even if it was just a cheapo right angle drill that I only intended to use a few times.

YMMV

Dale

Comment

• bthere
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Alpharetta, GA

I also have a right angle attachment for my drill. With this setup, you need to hold the handle that is attached to the adapter to guide it, and the rear handle of the drill. For small holes, it is ok, but for larger holes, I don't have enough hands to hold the adapter handle, the drill rear handle, and the drill side handle. If I don't hold the drill side handle with a large spade bit, the drill can certainly torque out of my hand. I learned this lesson effectively drilling some holes in overhead joists while on a stepladder. As I began to helicopter around, It occurred to me that a real right angle drill is a better choice for this sort of work.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

For some reason I could not open the link to the Ryobi drill. My 18v cordless Ryobi does just fine with a 1/2" auger bit. I prefer the auger bit to a spade - much faster. I've also used to the Ryobi with 1 1/8" and 1" forstner bits several times and worked with no problems. I don't see why a 1" auger wouldn't work, you might just need a lighter touch than you'd use with a corded.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

If a right angle drill won't do the job don't even consider using an adapter every adapter I've seen wouldn't last long under heavy loads. As for a right angle drill the Ryobi may be heavily burdened with a auger but I'd expect it to make it through. A spade, fostner or twist bit shouldn't have any problem.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• mashtun
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2007

Ryobi one+ right angle drill vs Right Angle Attachment

I don't know aout the Ryobi drill, but I used a 7/8 inch Auger bit in my PC 14 volt cordless with no problems.

Well one problem really, I could only drill about 7 holes before the Battery gave up. If you are drilling many holes in many studs, to say wire a house then the big right angle Milwaukee is a god send. At least it was for me, my friend had one.

John

Comment

• tedkitch
                • Jul 2006
                • NE Suburbs, Chicago
                • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

I have the Ryobi right angle drill and I have done exactly what you are talking about. It worked fine. It doesn't do many holes without having to recharge the batteries, but it will do it without problem. I did my 1" holes with a spade bit. I drilled one with a 1" hole saw to see if I could do it, but the spade bit is the way to go. I had to do about 30 holes and I had to swap batteries 3 times, so I got about 10 holes per charge. YMMV.

HTH,
                Ted Kitch

Comment

• NJFrank
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • NJ, USA.

Thanks all I appreciate it,

I was thinking about that Milwaukee right angle attachment Dale mentioned but will go with the Ryobi based on what everyone said. Worst case I'll put it up on ebay and Craigslist if it spends too much time in the draw after I'm done.

Comment

Working...