• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Thin Kerf blades w/ cabinet saw?

I've got a collection of new saw blades many of which are thin kerf as I bought them to use w/ the BT3100. Now that I've got the 3HP Jet Cabinet saw do I need to replace these w/ full kerf blades? Will the cabinet saw's power cause flex?
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm using only TK blades with my PM2000. No issues so far (bought the saw in March 2007).
    Larry

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

Yes - they are unusable on your new saw - You should send them to me immediately.
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Unless you're doing something that applies a force perpendicular to the blade, it's unlikely a thin kerf blade will flex side-to-side more when installed in a cabinet saw than it would on the BT. Besides, if there was a problem with thin kerf blades in high power saws, you'd see a warning label somewhere.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I use mostly TK's on my 22124 and have never had an issue with the better quality blades. For hobby type use, you shouldn't have any issues with them, so I'd use what you've got until it's time to replace, and then buy full kerf, or until one of those insane 65% off deals comes along on a top shelf blade...

Congrats on the new saw!
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

I agree with everyone here, you can use them just fine, but make sure that your splitter is thin enough to fit nicely into the kerf that they make. My pm2000 has a full kerf riving knife. If I wanted to use think kerf blades, I'd need to get a TK riving knife for the saw.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...