• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tarheel
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • N. Carolina

CMS Blade Recommendations

I have a Craftsman 12" CMS and I think that I am just about ready to replace the blade. Can't afford a Woodworker ChopMaster, so what would you all recommend. Is a 5* hook what I should be looking at?

No clue as to what to look at that would come close to a WW Chopmaster.

Would welcome any recommendations and your experiences.

TIA,

Wayne
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

If you are referring to the -5 degree hook, that is for sliding miter saws. I would think any nice high tooth count blade would do well. Take a look at the Freud LU88. If it's a slide miter, then the LU91 is a nice blade.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Here's the best bang for the buck going - A limited supply of closeouts of German made high precision blades made under a handful of brand names by Leitz. In this case, it's a Delta Industrial blade:

35-654 12" z80 ATB -Negative Hook- 1" bore $25

Contact Mike - He'll give you prompt service.
      Mike Jackson
      leitz Tooling Systems
      mjackson@leitztooling.com

I've been pleased with the half dozen or so that I've tried.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I would agree with Dustmight, that due to the economy of the situation, Mike Jackson IS the way to go.

Otherwise, for fine woodworking, the chopmaster comparisons, are also going to be up there (ones like the Freud LU85R012). For general around the house/home improvement projects, you could get by with a 12" Diablo blade. (CMS, NOT SCMS)
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I use a 6 deg neg hook ATB on both the 10" CMS and the 10" RAS. For the CMS a 60T is used mostly unless I have some very thick and hard stock.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

More teeth makes a big difference in the quality of cut. 60 tooth is about right for fine cuts on a 10 inch (that is what I use). Most inexpensive blades are ATB grind with is good for a CMS. I like Freud blades but have also gotten good results with DeWalt. For a 12 inch CMS, I would want a 80 tooth or more for fine cuts plus something coarser for framing lumber or if I am worried there might be nails or something.

Jim

Comment

• Holbren
              • Oct 2004
              • Heathrow, FL.

That blade Scott recommended is the best deal you'll find.

I tell people that if you use your saw a lot to buy a TCG blade which is good on non-ferrous metals too. They stay sharper longer and at 80T, will give a nice cut. Downside is they are usually more expensive. I'm sure it hard to wear out a miter saw blade for what most of use use them for regardless of grind but just my two cents.
              Brian
              Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...