• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luckbox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Holly Springs, NC

Thinking of the Dark Side

I have the opportunity to pick up a once used RIDGID 10" Cast Iron Table Saw with stand Model # TS3650 for $350 and was wondering if it is a worthy upgrade. I like the cast iron table top, the extra power and extra size. I also have a potential buyer for my current bt3100 so it’s kind of a win all the way around. Just hoping to get some input on if the Rigid is a good choice, on if I should come to the Dark Side.
    I love lamp.
  • jonmnelson
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Long Beach, CA
    • Craftsman 21829/Jet 708100 (don't ask)

I talked to a guy who has the Ridgid and he really likes it. From all of the reviews I've read -- including those on the Ridgid Forum -- it seems to be a very nice, reliable saw. I believe Ridgid tools have a lifetime warranty. $350 sounds like a great price -- that's what I paid for my Craftsman 21829.

Comment

• mashtun
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2007

Thinking of the Dark Side

I think I have the very same model, not sure, bought it used for $250.

I love the thing. The fence, while maybe not the best is very stiff, and easy to setup. Once setuo it seems to stay that way.

The only thing I do not like about it, is that it dose not have much in the way of dust collection.

Now I haven't really used it all that much but it ripped through the Glued up 1 and 1/2 inch MDF with now problems at all, even with an old Harbor Frieght blade.

I have never used a BT3000 style saw, so I can't say it's better or worse, but it is a nice saw, and I think for $350 I would still get it.

John

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The 3650 is a well respected saw and $350 for a nearly new 3650 is a good deal IMHO. Most 3650 owners are very happy with it.

There are some advantages with the upgrade....larger CI table surface, more mass/stability, quieter motor, good longterm reliability, Herculift, etc. I've read positive comments from several users who've made exactly the same move....all seem pleased IIRC.

You may want to upgrade the miter gauge at some point, or build a crosscut sled. The cast iron surface will rust if you don't take some precautions...a couple of coats of paste wax once or twice a year helps alot. I find it helps even more to use Boeshield T9 and buff it dry before applying the wax. It also helps alot to cover the saw with a sheet or similar when not in use. And with any saw, make sure you've got a good blade and good alignment.

Good luck!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Two year owner here and I have no regrets. I cut through 2" cherry with a fresh Freud rip blade with no hesitation. Like Dustmight said you do have to keep after the C.I. tables or they get a 'patina' of rust. Even if they do, a little WD-40 or kerosene, a red 3-M pad and your sander correct that in about 15 min time. That price is very good. Oh yes, if you have a space issue then the motor hanging out the back could be an issue. My shop is small and I don't mind the motor issue.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• stormdog74
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Sacramento, CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

I have this saw and love it - $350 is a very good price.

Comment

• goslin23
              Established Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Richmond, TX
              • Rigid TS3650

I'm another Darksider with this saw, I love it. $350.00 is a great price, grab it before it's gone.

-=gos=-
              If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• pecker
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003

I bought the TS3650 about 6 months ago, as an "upgrade" from A 6 year old BT3000.
                While there are things I like about it, and I use it regularly, there are some things the BT does better. And a few things the new one can't do that the BT can. And the miter gauge which came with the new saw does not even compare to the BT's sliding table, so you will probably want to upgrade that right away.

I ended up finding some space to keep the BT after all. The resale value is so low that it's worth it to me to keep it around.

Comment

Working...