• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schlemer
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2004
    • Bethlehem, PA, USA.

Craftsman, Husky or Stanley?

Of the non-professional handtools one can buy, which one is the better? Craftsman, Husky or Stanley? Country of origin does not matter. I'm clearly speaking of price and quality (or does it just come down to personal preference?).

The only reason I ask is because I have not owned a set of tools in a very long time. I used to keep a basic set of CM in my van before it was stolen( 13 years ago). Since then I've moved into my first house and have found the need to own good tools for around the house, automotive and projects that the wife has me doing.
  • dwolsten
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Chandler, AZ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by schlemer

Of the non-professional handtools one can buy, which one is the better? Craftsman, Husky or Stanley? Country of origin does not matter. I'm clearly speaking of price and quality (or does it just come down to personal preference?).
    I don't know about the other two, but most of the hand tools I own are Craftsman. They're not terribly expensive, seem to perform well in all my automotive work, and they have the no-questions-asked exchange policy which is really handy if you break any sockets or wrenches.

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

I have two sets of handtools. In the shop I have a set of craftsman hand tools in a craftsman professional series roll around chest. In the tool box of my pickup I have a set of HF pittsburg steel tools. Why you ask? Well, the tools in the shop are the ones I use on those projects that are near and dear to my heart. The ones in the truck are those that go to the job site, get loaned out and, all to often, undergo a midnight appropriation by parties heretofore unknown to me. THe craftsman are relatively expensive and are kept in mint condition. The HF tools are cheap, easy to replace and take a continued beating.
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Both Husky and Craftsman are at the same level of quality, both have lifetime guarantees on their hand tools and both are good values for the money. I find the difference to be in the ease of returning a broken or warn tool.
        Sears is famous for replacing any Craftsman hand tool that is warn or broken. I can attest to the fact that any Sear I have ever walked into with a broken or warn tool has replaced the tool for me without question.
        Home Depot sell the Husky hand tools and although Home depot is very good about most returns I have found them to be less willing to accept warn Husky tools back for replacement. Yes I have always prevailed after pointing out Husky's guarantee but I find it to be more bothersome.
        As for Stanley tools I purchase tools first because of need and second based on their guarantee for this reason I'd stick with Craftsman for hand tools.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

No experience with Husky, but I've been very satisfied with the return process on Craftsman hand tools. No questions asked, just an easy exchange. If they no longer make the tool (happened to me once) they'll give you your choice of an equal (or in my case slightly more expensive) tool in exchange.

Now the fact that I've had to exchange 5 or 6 Craftsman hand tools in the last 10 years may be a debatable point. They certainly aren't up to par with the quality of the (few) Mac and Proto tools I have, but you stated you were only interested in the non-pro tools.
          Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• Al Garay
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2003
            • Seattle, WA, USA.

My brother-in-laws auto shop had a **** of a time returning/replacing the Husky screw drivers. Never again. They wanted a cheap alternative to Craftsman. They primarily use Mac and SnapOn but they were interested in trying the HD warranty.

Check out Kobalt from Lowes. Those have in store warranty. Made in USA by SnapOn.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Biggest problem with any tools brands sold by the box stores, hardware stores, and auto stores is longevity of the guarantee. We have alol seen changes in the stocked item ranging from harware to power tools. Will you be able to get your Kobalt, Goodwrench, or husky replaced next year? Sears will always have replacements for Craftsman hand tools.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• bolson
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Charlotte, MI, USA.

Craftsman hand tools are the best bang for the buck if you want quality and value with the backing of a REAL lifetime garuntee.

When I started fixing my own stuff when I was younger, my dad made me go out and buy my own hand tools and the first place we went to was sears. I still have those tools and they have lasted me quite well (almost 15 years now, and I'm only 25 years old!).

I also have some HF and Tractor supply specials and they work, but I prefer my craftsmans

Now if only sears power tools would be up to that same quality of their hand tools.... They seem to be trying, but we'll see.
                Woodworking forum highlights on my blog at http://woodworking-in-charlotte.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think craftsman brand will be around a lot longer than husky. Just because of name recognition even if Sears is gone.

And anytime I've tried to return a craftsman hand tool no matter the reason (or how badly it was misused) or the age, they always replaced it with the current equivalent without a second's hesitation.

A scratched or beat up wrench or socket set found at a pawn shop could be an instant new tool. I guess that's why I've never found one, even a loose wrench, there.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Handy Al
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Worthington, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100

If you join the Craftsman Club there are sales about once a month where you can get an additional 10% off on tools, including any sale price.
                    "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• silverfox
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Richland Center WI, USA.
                      • BT3100

Well...I've been around a long time and just recently gave up a hobby of building performance cars. When I was a kid I helped my dad in his gas station. I've used just about every brand of tool there is out there. I have to tell you...the Pittsburgh brand of hand tools at HF are good quality, really inexpensive and all hand tools at HF are guaranteed for life. I bought a set of 9 wrenches to see the quality...bought them for something like $3.99 on sale...which, of course, is often. These tools are a great bargain and I went back for more. The fit and finish is good and they are guaranteed for life. For having a set of tools around the house or even professionally they would be tough to beat. They are of good quality and are surprisingly cheap for that kind of quality. If you have a HF store near you...go take a look. Do like I did and buy a small set on sale and try them out, I think you will be very satisfied...you can't hardly lose with a lifetime guarantee and I think HF will be around for a long, long time. JMHO
                      Mike

Comment

• schlemer
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2004
                        • Bethlehem, PA, USA.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. It seems like I'll be sticking with Craftsman. I'm surprised to see that no one had any comments on Stanley tools (figuring that they've been around so long). Anyway, I like the folks at my local Sears as well as Home Depot. So it will be a no brainer.

Comment

• messmaker
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2004
                          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                          • Ridgid 2424

I think the Stanley stuff is O.K. but I must protect the stores that sell WW tools. Stanley is now the house brand at Wally World.
                          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...