X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Hitachi M12V or PC 7518?

Someone is selling a PC 7518 for $225. I currently have a Hitachi M12V. Is it worth selling the Hitachi and getting the PC. Alot of people have said the 7518 is the industry standard for 3-1/4 HP routers and that it's a much better router but I haven't figured out why. What features will benefit me in upgrading? What does the PC have that the Hitachi doesn't. Also I haven't used the Hitachi yet and I'm still waiting for my bench dog table and still haven't made up my mind on what plate to get. Thanks.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Can't speak to the PC, but I am a very satisfied M12V user. I have mine mounted in a Woodpeckers Quick-Lift, and have run into nothing at all problematic, much less anything that would make me want to make a change.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by jussi
      Also I haven't used the Hitachi yet and I'm still waiting for my bench dog table and still haven't made up my mind on what plate to get. Thanks.

If you recently ordered the benchdog pro it comes with a plate.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        Can't speak to the PC, but I am a very satisfied M12V user. I have mine mounted in a Woodpeckers Quick-Lift, and have run into nothing at all problematic, much less anything that would make me want to make a change.
        If it's mounted in the woodpecker quick-lift, the it's probably the KM12VC. The M12V is stricly a plunge router ... much different setup

As for the 7518 vs. the M12V .... I had the M12V, but never the 7518 .... IMO, the 7518 is much more adaptable to a lift in the future, the M12V is an EXCELLENT router for what it is, but it's got many drawbacks in the grand scheme of things.

That's a really decent price on a 7518, I'd probably jump on that
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

No Thom, it's an M12V, but I misspoke the lift... It's a Woodpeckers Plunge Lift. It's been a long day...

By the way, the PlungeLift works great, runs up and down without a hitch and holds that big honkin' router rock steady. I've done a lot of blind cuts that would choke a lesser machine, and never a problem.
          Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 09-13-2007, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I can't compare the two routers against each other, but can tell you that I really like my 7518, which I have mounted in a Rockler/JessEm Mast-R-Lift. I've owned it about three years, I guess. Never a complaint, never a hiccup.

I paid somewhere around that same $225 for it, new; but that was back in the halcyon days when amazon.com offer heftier across-the-board discounts than they have been lately. I've not seen a new one for anywhere near that price in a very long time.
            Larry

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Absolutely 7518 over M12 IMHO. The 7518 in a lift is head and shoulders above the M12V in a lift. The 7518 will come out of the base thus allowing the motor to be mounted in a lift which will extend the entire motor up through the base plate. This is awesome for bit changes. Looking at Woodpecker Plungelift they still recommend a collet extension for above table changes which is a major weakness IMHO.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                Looking at Woodpecker Plungelift they still recommend a collet extension for above table changes which is a major weakness IMHO.
                Although I have the offset collet wrench, I do use an extended collet, and it is not at all awkward or troublesome. To each his own ('course I did get the router for $80 when Amazon had that screw-up last year...).

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  Although I have the offset collet wrench, I do use an extended collet, and it is not at all awkward or troublesome. To each his own ('course I did get the router for $80 when Amazon had that screw-up last year...).
                  Not all collet extenders are created equal. Those that add vibration aren't so desirable...
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
                    Not all collet extenders are created equal. Those that add vibration aren't so desirable...
                    More importantly the collet extender could have deflection and will also magnify any runout or mis-alignment.

Having said that I have used collet extensions without any problems. As you note however not all collet extenders are created equal. Woodpeckers extension is listed at $80. Add that to cost of router and the M12V quickly gets into 7519 territory.

BTW, is that a private deal on teh 7518 for $200 or is it a store? Thats a good price.

Comment

• ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Dustmight
                      I have the M12V and change bits from the table top without a collet extension. I use a bent wrench. Works fine.
                      RAGS
                      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                      sigpic

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce

BTW, is that a private deal on teh 7518 for $200 or is it a store? Thats a good price.

Craigslist deal.
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...