• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

My drillpress is running backwards

I was using a hole cutter and bogged down my drill press today. When it fired back up, it was running backwards. I tried to stall it again and see what would happen but it is still spinning the wrong direction. It is an old Craftsman(40 or 50 years old) that is in fine shape but it does not seem to have the original motor. Whats up?
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • HarmsWay
    • Nov 2003
    • Victoria, BC
    • BT3000

Perhaps you expired when the motor stalled and are now in an alternate universe.

Bob

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

Woa... Weird... Does it have a starting capacitor on the motor? If you spin it first and then turn it on does it continue in the right direction or stop and spin the other way?

Bill
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

More than likely the start-up capacitor or something associated with it, is on the fritz. I might even be possible to force it to start in the right direction by spinning it, or moving the belt in the right direction and then turning it on. Watch your fingers though.
        This advice is given without assuming any of the possible consequences of following it.

Tim
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I believe that the polarity on the framistan has been reversed. I've heard that this is quite common on older model namstfarC drill presses.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

If it's running backwards, it should be pretty easy to catch, unless you are REALLY out of shape.

Oh come on...I'm the 5th person to respond and I'm the first to come up with the classic pre-pubescent "Is your refridgerator running" crank call? Hey, wait a minute, maybe that is saying something about myslef...
            Joe

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

Afer a short chase, I have recoverd my wayward drillpress but I still have the problem. I tried spinning it the opposite way on start-up with no luck. i still have one question . What do I try next?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by messmaker
                Afer a short chase, I have recoverd my wayward drillpress but I still have the problem. I tried spinning it the opposite way on start-up with no luck. i still have one question . What do I try next?

Counterclockwise (left-hand) bits.
                (sorry couldn't resist)

Assuming we have an single-phase induction motor (most all drill presses we find in home workshops do) then we know that the direction of rotation of a such a motor is goverened by a start capacitor (which is across one pole of the motor to cause neough delay in the field to make the motor start in one direction). I can't offhand imagine how the wiring could be reversed to the other pole. One reason might be that the start capacitor simply opened up or became un connected in which case the motor generall sits and hums when started unless pushed in one direction or the other then its runs in that direction. But you already tried spinning it the right way before starting and it reversed which says the starting cap is affecting it.

Maybe you did wake up in an alternate universe.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• messmaker
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2004
                  • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                  • Ridgid 2424

The alternate universe thing is looking pretty good right now. I think this calls for action. I think I may just try hitting it with a hammer.

Comment

• Salty
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Akron, Ohio

Was there smoke involved??

Is it possible that the wiring shorted and caused it to now be wired backward....although that indeed would be weird!
                    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

Originally posted by Salty
                      Was there smoke involved??

Is it possible that the wiring shorted and caused it to now be wired backward....although that indeed would be weird!

Oh yeah. You didn't let the smoke out did you? Even Loring will tell you that when they build those start-capacitors the put smoke in 'em. If you let the smoke out they don't work anymore.

Bill
                      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Daryl
                        • May 2004

Is it reaching full speed in reverse direction? I kind of suspect the starter switch in conjunction with the capacitor. At least take the end off and check the starter to see if everything seems in order.
                        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                          If it's running backwards, it should be pretty easy to catch, unless you are REALLY out of shape.

Oh come on...I'm the 5th person to respond and I'm the first to come up with the classic pre-pubescent "Is your refridgerator running" crank call? Hey, wait a minute, maybe that is saying something about myslef...
                          I'll give you a hi-5 on that.

Comment

• messmaker
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2004
                            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                            • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by Daryl
                            Is it reaching full speed in reverse direction? I kind of suspect the starter switch in conjunction with the capacitor. At least take the end off and check the starter to see if everything seems in order.
                            It seems to be running fine but in the wrong direction. It is an older motor that was given to me a few years ago. I think it might have seeen time on a washer or the like. It is a 1/3 hp Maytag.
                            I wonder what the Matag repairman is up to. Perhaps I should give him a ring.

Comment

• ragswl4
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Winchester, Ca
                              • C-Man 22114

I'm guessing that the starting capacitor has gone south. I suggest you inspect it, they usually leak a little oil when they go and will even show signs of overheating. Make sure you disconnect power before checking.

Another way to check it is to disconnect one lead from the capacitor, plug the drill back in and turn it on. Does it react as before?

Capacitors can also be checked with an ohm meter. The capacitor must first be disconnected from the circuit. Put the ohm meter on the highest resistance scale. Put a meter lead on each lead of the capacitor. The meter should show a low resistance, then increase over a short period of time. Reverse the ohm meter leads and the indication should repeat. It can be difficult to see with a digital meter. Analog meter is better.
                              RAGS
                              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...