• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Tool vs Tool: Delta 580 vs Dewalt DW734 Planers

Which of these two portable planers would you keep and why? Delta has 2 speeds vs Dewalt has 3 knives. Remember: the choice is only these two!

Delta 22-580 13" Planer
    http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=950

Dewalt DW734 12.5" Planer
    http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5934
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

both these machines by reputation are fine performers. The cuts per inch are similar.

The thing that gives me pause for both of them is the weight...
    80 lbs for the DW and ~95 lbs for the Delta. They're both well beyond what I consider a normal lifting weight for me to get it on the bench to use. I can lift a 65 lb tool that's not too bulky but that's about it.
    Yet they call these portable planers...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I like the 3 knife cutter head that the DeWalt offers over the 2 blade on the Delta. I also like the extra stock support the DeWalt has with it's longer infeed and outfeed tables.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I have the Delta and can only speak to it as I have no experience with the DeWalt. The 22-580 is a fine machine; no complaints at all. I paid a paltry $229 for mine during the Great Lowe's Delta Blowout some three years back, but I'd be just as satisfied if I'd paid the full, normal street price of ~$400 (then). If you use proper outfeed supports, snipe is virtually non-existent.

The dual-speed feature is handy, but not for the reason you'd guess ... the quality of cut is pretty much the same on both settings, but the "dimensioning" 60cpi speed runs the material through a lot faster than the "finishing" 90cpi speed. If you have a lot of passes to make you can set the machine on the 60cpi setting and take off most of the material, then make one last pass at the slower 90cpi speed.
        Larry

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Tough call that would depend alot on price and retail circumstances. Both seem very capable. I've been pleased with the 22-580, but I think right now I'd try the DW out of curiosity if I had to pick one....how's that for logic?
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...