• Show
Clear All
  • steve-u
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Bartlett, Ill.
    • Ryobi BT 3100

Craftsman 10 inch # 21400 bandsaw ??

I see that Craftsman has their 10 inch #21400 bandsaw on sale for $119.99.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921400000

Does anyone have any opinions on this bandsaw and would there be a better new one for comparable cost? I have never used a bandsaw in my 54 years and want to try one. I think it might come in handy cutting small and narrow pieces that I otherwise avoid on my table saw. I would also like to be able to occasionaly resaw pine 2x4 or 1x4 for some trim projects I have in mind and I think this saw can handle that but that is not a top priority. I remember when I worked in the grocery store years ago and watched the butchers slice up meat in 1/2 inch strips using the band saw. They were big commercial Hobart units.

Thanks, Steve
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Steve - I don't know of a more substantial BS for that price unless you stumble into a good used one. The 21400 offers more features for the buck than other that I know of....cast iron table, fence, decent resaw capacity, etc.

I used a 9" Ryobi for a few years and thought it did fine for it's size. The Sears should have better capacity and more mass. I've had the 22400 12" since Friday, and so far am impressed with the value.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 09-10-2006, 06:03 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

More than anything else I use my bandsaw for cutting little notches and slots and stuff and this saw would be great for that at that price, it looks well constructed. The drawback is that it's a little small for other two prime bandsaw uses - resaw is only 4-5/8" and capacity is only 9-5/8" for curved and crosscuts so I think that will really start to bind on you if you plan to do more woodworking.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the 14" version and like it quite a lot. I think that the 10 and 12 are built just about as well. So far I've heard nothing but good opinions of them.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• steve-u
          Established Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Bartlett, Ill.
          • Ryobi BT 3100

Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen which seems fairly positive. That was very helpful. There is a Sears about 5 minutes from me so I am going to try and get out there to check it out. Is it true that using bandsaw is generally safer to use than a table saw or RAS with the understanding that on any saw you need to take great care to keep your hand out of the path of the blade? Other then the obvious danger from the blade I was wondering about any kickback risks that are inherent in circular saws. It seems to me that would be far less on a bandsaw due to the way the blade works and it's lack of rotational forces to the cutting table.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

bandsaw

Steve, I have that same bandsaw, no problems with it so far, it works good.
            It has limitations as do any smaller saws no matter what the brand, but I
            believe that if you are doing smaller projects with it, it should fit the bill
            nicely. I've done some small piece re-sawing with it and the key here is to take it slow and easy and not try to force the machine too quickly.
            Only regret I have is that I should have bought the optional more precise
            fence setup...it would make some things easier and more accurate to cut with this size saw. Hope this helps....eezlock

Comment

• steve-u
              Established Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Bartlett, Ill.
              • Ryobi BT 3100

Thanks for sharing your experience with that bandsaw. I stopped at my local Sears today and they did not have any and the display model did not have the included fence that I wanted to check out. I see that there is an optional fence for $39.99 which has one bad review. I don't understand some of those reviews. The fella says it broke when he tried putting it on and now he is out $40? Hmm I would think Sears would refund or exchange a broken item. Sounds like a suspicious review. Anyhow I am going to try a different nearby Sears this week.

Steve

Comment

• mikeg
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006
                • Milton, VT
                • BT3100

I bought one last weekend and had to go back this weekend to get the price adjusted.

I'm not sure what you mean about an optional fence, mine came with both a fence and a miter gage. Or is it a resaw fence? Both the fence and the gauge are what you'd expect for something of this cost.

I haven't had much time to do more than set it up but overall, it seems to be a great piece of machinery for $120.

mikeg

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Steve - I don't know if the fence on the 21400 is similar to the one on the 22400 or not, but the fence on the 22400 is what I'd call "functional". It works and slides pretty well. It comes off easily, but is a bit cumbersome to get back on. For TS it would bother me....since I've never had one on a BS, it seems like a nice feature at this point. I suppose it's all relative.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• steve-u
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Bartlett, Ill.
                    • Ryobi BT 3100

Eezlock mentioned that he wished he would have gotten a better fence. I did a search for band saw fence on the Sears website and they do have a band saw fence for sale which I believe he may have been talking about. The included fence may be all I need. The one on display at the local Sears store did not have any fence. Everyones comments in that it is a decent bandsaw for the money for that size is encouraging. I am going to try another Sears today.

Steve

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

The 14" came with a pretty nice fence, honestly. I wouldn't change it out for the kreg fence, it's too close to the same thing. The only thing that the 14" was short was a miter gauge, I use an Incra V27 on it, when I rarely need one.
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...