• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Has Anyone Used HF Mortiser

Thinking of buying a HF Mortiser and wonder if anyone out there has used one and what you think of it? How does it compare to Jet or Delta? Thanks.
    phrog
    Richard
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I have not used the HF mortiser, or any other for that matter. However, I was wandering around our new local HF yesterday, and checked out the mortiser. I was unimpressed, to say the least. It just felt sloppy and very poorly machined. I was convinced that I would be better off sticking to my usual method - Forstner bit in a drill press and clean up with a chisel.
    John

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

they reviewed it a couple of years ago in the WW magazines and they said it ranked low among the users for fit finish and overall feel (felt sloppy and imprecise).
      The Delta and Jet came out much higher ranked.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dkhoward
        • Dec 2003
        • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
        • bt3000

THe HF mortiser is an unpolished gem in my opinion. I have one and have used it extensively and it has done everything I have asked of it. However, that said, I have to say that I did do a lot of tweaking on it to get it where it is.

First, throw away the chisels that come with the machine and buy a good set of chisels and a sharpening set.

Second, rebuild the table and the work clamp. That is where most of the slop and play is anyway. I also extended the handle on mine to get a bit more leverage.

For the money, I think it is a good tool. It certainly isn't production shop quality but for a home hobby shop it is worth what it costs when on sale.
        Dennis K Howard
        www.geocities.com/dennishoward
        "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by dkhoward
          THe HF mortiser is an unpolished gem in my opinion. I have one and have used it extensively and it has done everything I have asked of it. However, that said, I have to say that I did do a lot of tweaking on it to get it where it is.

First, throw away the chisels that come with the machine and buy a good set of chisels and a sharpening set.

Second, rebuild the table and the work clamp. That is where most of the slop and play is anyway. I also extended the handle on mine to get a bit more leverage.

For the money, I think it is a good tool. It certainly isn't production shop quality but for a home hobby shop it is worth what it costs when on sale.
          How about posting some pictures of your mods Dennis. I'd like to get mine tweaked before I need it again. Thanks Pat
          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• jarhead
            • May 2004
            • Boynton Beach, FL.

Originally posted by Popeye
            How about posting some pictures of your mods Dennis. I'd like to get mine tweaked before I need it again. Thanks Pat
            Pat,
            Sorry for jumping in, but you may also want to check out these mods.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The HF mortiser works. It's not as nice as those costing 2-3x, but it works and works fairly well IMO. The hold down needs help, but the basic mechanism is fine. Fit and finish make no difference to the square hole.

Easily worth the $100 asking price for occasional use, but I wouldn't pay more.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• beetee3
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • The Sunshine State

Does the job

Here's another thumbs up in favor of the HF mortiser. Sure, the fence & hold-down assembly leaves something to be desired. For the price it is certainly worthy of a place in this weekend wood butchers shop. Note that there are at least two variations on the HF mortiser sold at the same price. As far as I know the variations are just cosmetic.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

One of them takes an odd sized chisel.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• dkhoward
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                    • bt3000

Pat, as soon as I dig it out from under the excess junk in that end of my shop I will be glad to send you some pics . . .
                    Dennis K Howard
                    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by dkhoward
                      Couple of questions.
                      1. Can you please reccomend some good chisels? (I am assuming you mean the square part surronding the drill bit)

2. Has anyone tried these, by adapting an old drill press? (may have another opportunity for a floor drill press, so it seems like a great idea for the old Atlas drill press).

3. Thanks!!!!!
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...