• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skruffy
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • Boston

new blade advice needed

I've been lurking here for quite a while and am at the point where I need some advice. I have to admit that I'm not near the woodworker that you guys are and most of my tools get used more for home improvement and maintenance than fine woodworking. But it's not my fault, my house was built in the early 1700's

I've usually just used whatever blade was on my saw to make a cut, but after some time here I got some better rip and crosscut blades for my TS and I see the world of difference. But I'm still a total novice on actually selecting whch blade to buy.

My summer project is to replace all of the exterior trim and fascias on my house, so my 12" CMS will be getting a pretty good workout. I still have the original DeWalt blade on there and it is getting tired so now is a good time to replace it and upgrade to a real crosscut blade.

I've gone through older posts as well as current ones and there seems to be a general agreement here that Freud blades are very good and well worth the money. The LU85 seems very popular and I respect the opinions here, but I can't really wrap my head around a ~$125 blade for the work immediately ahead of me - basic 90 degree crosscuts in pine and/or poplar 1x4, 1x6 and a bit of 1x10 that will be above eye level and painted.

With that in mind, I'm eyeing the Freud TK407 and the Diablo D1272X. As far as I can tell, these are essentially the same blade, but one has red paint.
    Does anyone know what the differences really are and why I would prefer one or the other?

Are there other blades I should look at - maybe a cheaper throw-away or a similarly priced alternative? Or should I really just suck it up, buy the LU85 and thank you for talking me into it when I find the time for a nice piece of finish work in a few months?
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You'll seldom find someone who regrets buying a better blade for precision work, but I can sure understand not wanting to part with $125 for a blade. The LU85 is in a different league than the "TK/Avanti" and Diablo series, but they're all decent. The TK and Diablo are made to similar standards, but aren't necessarily the same blade.

How about an Amana on Ebay (not mine, no association) ...it's currently $40...it will likely go higher, but shouldn't approach the cost of a new 12" LU85. While searching Ebay, keep you eyes peeled for an LU85 or other Freud Industrial series blade that will suit the application.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Amana-12-72-toot...QQcmdZViewItem

Freud's LU91R012 is a suitable 72T blade with a negative hook angle and is only $89 delivered from Amazon. It's from the Industrial series also.

Any of the DeWalt series 40 or series 60 blades are good too...they should have several choices that are less than a $100. The DEWALT DW7649 12" 80T (series 60) is on sale from $118 for $60 delivered from Amazon. That appears to be the best deal going right now from what I've seen. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Lotsa good blades out there, and the deals change constantly. You don't have to lock into just one blade to get a good one at a good price. Price isn't always a good indicator of quality ...depends on the sales.

Anyone know if Mike Jackson still has some of the German made Leitz/Irwin Woodworking series blades?
    Last edited by Knottscott; 06-02-2006, 05:47 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• burrellski
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Saint Joseph, MO.

I just purchased a delta 36-255L 12" CMS about a month ago. I was picking up an avenger dado set when I came across this:

http://www.avengertoolsonline.com/ca...aw_Blades.html (Scroll way down)

ONLY $28.75
      12" x 96T x 1" Arbor
      Compound Miter Saw Blade
      with C-3 Carbide,
      ATB Grind

Model #: 12023

I'm not sure how it compares to the other blades that have been discussed here, but its world's better than the delta that came with the saw. So far I've only cut a handful of hardwood trim and a few pieces of oak for a project, but I've been very impressed. Smooth and almost 100% splinter free. Not too bad for $30 IMO. Amazon has the 12" Hitachi on sale for $20 which seems like a good price, but I have heard mixed reviews (like everything else) of the blade.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by burrellski
        I just purchased a delta 36-255L 12" CMS about a month ago. I was picking up an avenger dado set when I came across this:

http://www.avengertoolsonline.com/ca...aw_Blades.html (Scroll way down)

ONLY $28.75
        12" x 96T x 1" Arbor
        Compound Miter Saw Blade
        with C-3 Carbide,
        ATB Grind

Model #: 12023

I'm not sure how it compares to the other blades that have been discussed here, but its world's better than the delta that came with the saw. So far I've only cut a handful of hardwood trim and a few pieces of oak for a project, but I've been very impressed. Smooth and almost 100% splinter free. Not too bad for $30 IMO. Amazon has the 12" Hitachi on sale for $20 which seems like a good price, but I have heard mixed reviews (like everything else) of the blade.
        still waiting for my avenger stuff (They're closed for business y'know)
        from the clearance place I ordered early May. They don't answer e-mails or the phone so I don't think i'm getting any.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tree Farmer
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • BT3100-1

Somewhat off topic, but I'll ask: Is it possible for you to use fiber cement or solid PVC trim for your fascia material? If so, I would highly recommend changing the material before selecting the blade. I will NEVER again use wood (other than cedar, perhaps) for an exterior siding/trim project.

If you must use the natural stuff, then you've gotten excellent suggestions in others' posts. Good luck with your project!
          Jon - From inside the artillery fan near Fort Bragg, NC

Comment

• skruffy
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2006
            • Boston

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's very helpful. I had seen the $20 Hitachi and I was tempted to pick one up thinking I didn't have much to loose, but I hadn't heard anything about their blades. I'll take a closer look at the others that have been mentioned too.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            still waiting for my avenger stuff (They're closed for business y'know)
            from the clearance place I ordered early May. They don't answer e-mails or the phone so I don't think i'm getting any.
            I hope you haven't actually been charged for what you ordered yet! If you were, it sounds like it might be time to contact your CC company.

Originally posted by Tree Farmer
            Somewhat off topic, but I'll ask: Is it possible for you to use fiber cement or solid PVC trim for your fascia material?
            While I've never worked with either, I certainly like the idea of those for the durability. I don't know what the local historic commision would say about it, but it just doesn't feel right using either on a house this old anyway. On a newer house, it's probably the way to go if the cost isn't prohibitive.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by skruffy
              I hope you haven't actually been charged for what you ordered yet! If you were, it sounds like it might be time to contact your CC company.
              no, they haven't charged me...
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Holbren
                • Oct 2004
                • Heathrow, FL.

If you can wait a couple weeks I have some Tenryu blades coming in. They may be more expensive than you want to spend but I'll throw a good deal out there for you.

PT-30560 - 12" 1" arbor 60T ATAF .094 kerf 3 deg. rake
                $55 delivered vs. $80 list

MP-30560AB - 12" 1" arbor 60T ATAFR .118 kerf -3 deg rake
                $90 delivered vs. $138 list

The MP is a better series but obviously more money.

http://www.tenryu.com/m_miter.htm
                Brian
                Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                www.holbren.com

Comment

• skruffy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Boston

Amazon just lowered the price on the LU85 from $145 to $79. Hmmm, it hardly seems like I have a choice now

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a good opinion of tools sold by Costco. I recently bought a Nickolson titanium coated 12" 100 teeth blade for my CMS there for $60. It is too new to judge its longevity but so far it cuts great.
                    Alex V

Comment

• skruffy
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Boston

I just wanted to post a quick update and let you know what I ended up doing. With Amazon's lowered price and the $10 off $75 promo, I picked up the LU85 for $69.99. That was the blade I had already sold myself on based on posts here, I was just having a hard time spending the $$$ so Amazon's sale pushed me over the edge. It should be delivered this week, but I won't be able to put it work until Father's Day weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful advice, and thanks to Brian for the generous offer.

Comment

Working...