• Show
Clear All
  • Duff
    Established Member
    • Apr 2007
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Enco 12" RT

Garage Floors. . .

I figure this is as much a 'tool' as anything, but this is probably the more appropriate forum. . .

Had some friends give me 1 gallon of Seal-Kote 1-Part Epoxy for helping them. Little did they know I have OCD and couldn't just let it be. Had to buy another gallon, a gallon of clear/finish and the little speckles, a gallon of muratic acid and a pressure washer. . . So, for helping, I had to spend another hundredish...

Before. . .

During. . .

My little helper. . .he wanted to watch paint dry. . .

and final. . .

As it sits RIGHT NOW. . .

Painted/epoxy'd floor, sweeps easily and was easy enough to do. . . I don't see paying someone near 1200 for my garage for what I can do for about 120!!!
    Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

looking at the first picture, for a second i though, who posted a picture of my garage! . nice finish!

you know, i bought the stuff something like 10 months ago and i still havent gotten around to painting the floor with the epoxy stuff.

recently i did think of doing half of the garage and then doing the other half, but i wasnt sure how the joint in the middle would look like when its done. meaning if it is going to be noticable or not. how did your joint (in the middle of the garage) turn out, is it obvious or it blends in?

thanks for sharing the pictures.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Floor came out great looking, nice work. A friend did his garage floor and I don't think he let it dry long enough. His tires started to lift it. He may not have prepped it right, although he said he acid washed the whole thing and the house wasn't that old, something like 6 months.

I was looking at the snap together flooring that just lays loose, but it's expensive. No way could it be done for $120. Oh, see you got the cat litter buckets. I don't ever throw those away.

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

I did the same kinda thing, shuffling my 2-car garage's stuff from one side to the other. Don't notice any "seam" where the two halves meet . . . but, then, my garage is pretty full, too! Sure classes up the space, huh?
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

One day I will do my shop floor. 'Sweeps up nice' is ok if you actually sweep your floors.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Duff
            Established Member
            • Apr 2007
            • San Antonio, TX
            • Enco 12" RT

The seam is not noticable if you overlap it.

Sweeping is done about 1/50th the time its needed. . .so I collect cat-litter buckets of sawdust when I do sweep. . .
            and I keep the buckets for random jobs. . .like sweeping or carrying around 9" ford center sections. . .
            Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

Duff - floor looks great! It's not OCD when it comes to your shop, man. It's just craftsmanship!

Anyone know if epoxy would be suitable for plywood floors in my shop? I've planned on painting it with regular porch and floor paint, but I've done that before and it was not "easy to sweep".
              - Chris.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Yep, we'll regret many tool purchases but you will never regret painting the floor with a quality paint. The prep is crucial so if anyone feels that they can skip the etching step just don't bother with the paint job! You'll end up cursing the paint when the lack of prep was to blame.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• Iansaws
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Marietta, Ga
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by docrowan
                  Anyone know if epoxy would be suitable for plywood floors in my shop? I've planned on painting it with regular porch and floor paint, but I've done that before and it was not "easy to sweep".
                  I am planing on painting the plywood floor in my new shop with floor paint from HD after I prime it of course. Is this not advisable? Is there a better alternative?
                  I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Iansaws
                    I am planing on painting the plywood floor in my new shop with floor paint from HD after I prime it of course. Is this not advisable? Is there a better alternative?
                    I built a small shop at my former home with plywood flooring. I did not prime it, but I used 3 heavy coats of a name brand gray porch and floor paint. The grain of the plywood ran crossways to the way I would normally need to sweep (toward the door) and I found it was not much better than sweeping unpainted plywood. Also I spilled hot chocolate on it once and never was able to get it off.

I'm hoping someone with more experience here can tell what I did wrong and what I can do different.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dodge Caravan (or Chrysler or Plymouth) rear seat, 1996-2000 model...?
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Duff
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • San Antonio, TX
                        • Enco 12" RT

Chrysler T&C 2003 rear. . .

Comment

Working...