• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

PVC is a really bad idea for compressed air. it's rated for the pressure but when it fails it explodes into many pieces. it's actually expressly forbidden by OSHA standards for compressed air use.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Slick
      PVC is a really bad idea for compressed air. it's rated for the pressure but when it fails it explodes into many pieces. it's actually expressly forbidden by OSHA standards for compressed air use.
      that's correct, with incompressible fluids, a cracked pipe will leak but qickly reduce pressure. With highly compressed gasses, the PVC once it breaks will fragment and drive the shrapnel... very bad. There's a lot of stored spring energy in the compressed gasses. Compressed air and PVC should not be mixed.

Although you may say at 315 PSI rating it should never break, it might fail due to physical impact or other reasons.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-26-2007, 11:43 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Although you may say at 315 PSI rating it should never break, it might fail due to physical impact or other reasons.
        Thought about that, so mine is routed within walls or ceiling spaces for the most part, and covered with a metal "bump shield" where exposure was unavoidable. Protects the pipe from me, and protects me from the pipe. Going on 10 years now with no problems.
        Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 10-27-2007, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          Thought about that, so mine is routed within walls or ceiling spaces for the most part, and covered with a metal "bump shield" where exposure was unavoidable. Protects the pipe from me, and protects me from the pipe. Going on 10 years now with no problems.

The PVC that went poof on me just seemed to dry out and got brittle. Glue joints are also subject to giving way. And it DOES explode. I'm thinkin' that if yours does burst in the wall...big problems.

I think for that kind if installation galvanized pipe would work well.

Comment

• RAV2
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Massachusetts

Setting up a compressor

I spent a lot of time thinking this thru last fall when I "plumbed" my house and shed with compressed air. After researching "expensive and flexible" air hoses, I went the cheapest hose Lowes had and bought 2 100' and one 50' length to meet my needs.

I ran the hose throughout the house and used plastic cable ties (that have a provision for a screw) to mount the hose every foot or so.

I bought a harbor freight retractable hose and reel for my garage (where my compressor resides). I also included a portable air tank in my system to increase capacity (daisy chained in the plumbing but removeable if needed).

My shed is "wired" to the house thru and underground 2 1/2" conduit I ran under ground. I pulled a run of hose down thru the pipe and installed the small craftsman retractable reel.

Near each retractable hose reel is a sears shop light with retractable cord. This gives me easy access to air, power, and light when needed.

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Hmm, I'm thinking PEX may not be a bad material for plumbing air. An thoughts? I don't think it would have the same explosive charateristic as PVC since it is flexible. Anyone off hand know the pressure rating?
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

PEX pipe is rated at 160psi at 73 degrees, but the rating goes down quick as the temp goes up... down to 100psi at 180 degrees. Also, only two types of connection are available; insert type with crimp, or external compression type. Sunlight breaks it down, also.

Comment

• maxparot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                  • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  PEX pipe is rated at 160psi at 73 degrees, but the rating goes down quick as the temp goes up... down to 100psi at 180 degrees. Also, only two types of connection are available; insert type with crimp, or external compression type. Sunlight breaks it down, also.
                  That would seem to be fine within the confines of a home shop. My compressor tops out at 125 psi and as long as I don't run through my shops attic I'm sure to keep the temperature well below 180* even in the summer my shop tops out at about 100* when it is 120* outside. Sun wouldn't be a factor with solar screens on the windows and a limited western exposure throught the overhead door when open.
                  Opinions are like gas;
                  I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Remember that the air may be hot as it comes out of your compressor...

Comment

Working...