• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Crosscut Sled

I finally finished my new crosscut sled to replace my old one that didn't fit my new saw i got this summer. There were two features i really wanted after my experience with the first - hold downs for the piece being cut since it was awkward trying to hold down the piece on both sides while pushing the sled, and a stop since it was inconvenient to find a scrap of wood and a clamp all the time. While i was making a new one, i figured i would also add replaceable throat plates so i can cut bevels and dadoes, and add an extendable fence for longer boards. There is nothing original about it, but it should make a very useful sled.

The sled is 24" x 30". I can crosscut 21" wide boards on it, and i can remove the front fence to cut wider if necessary. With the fence extended all the way, i can have the stop out at 40". The fence is bolted down and can be realigned if necessary. It is currently accurate to about 0.001" over 12".

It took me a couple of months to build (i work at a very slow pace with little shop time), but it'll quickly pay back that time and more. There are some cosmetic goofs, but functionally it works very well and i'm very happy to have a sled again!

Last edited by thrytis; 10-08-2007, 08:46 AM.
    Eric
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

The only error I see on it is that the rails will not fit MY Unisaw!

Nice job!

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

that's one sexy looking jig. actually, it's no longer a jig - its some sort of a classy furniture now, looking so good .

Very nice use of t-tracks and bolts. Did you say you could remove the front fence too? so i guess you have not used glue anywhere?

Is there a replaceable throat plate in there? Could not locate it visually. Love your flip-stop : first thing i'm gonna copy, thanks .

Does the extension-fence use a t-track too? How does it slide : just a rightly sized channel?

And btw, where is your shop - a showroom or something? It's cleaner than my living room would be if it were left to me .
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by radhak
        Very nice use of t-tracks and bolts. Did you say you could remove the front fence too? so i guess you have not used glue anywhere?

Is there a replaceable throat plate in there? Could not locate it visually. Love your flip-stop : first thing i'm gonna copy, thanks .

Does the extension-fence use a t-track too? How does it slide : just a rightly sized channel?
        Both fences have four threaded inserts in the bottom of the fence and are attached by round head bolts through the bottom. The blade exit block is screwed by a few long screws. The runners are glued on the bottom.

There is no throat plate on the front fence since there is no tear-out risk (besides tear-out on the fence). The replaceable TPs are just on the bottom and the back fence.

The extension-fence just rides on a piece of t-track. The channel for it is very closely fitted. I accidently made it too tight before gluing up the fence and had to sand it out using a long thin stick to get it to slide. The t-trac is glued and screwed into the extension end and held into the fence on the other side by a t-bolt and knob that you can see on the back.
        Eric

Comment

• meika123
          • Dec 2002
          • Advance, NC, USA.
          • BT3000

That looks tremendous-as does your complete gallery. Very impressive. I was especially intrigued by the take-down bow. Would like some spec's on the construction. Have always wanted to build one myself, and never got around to it.
          Very nice work all around. And from a fellow North Carolinian.

Dave in NC
          Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• thrytis
            • May 2004
            • Concord, NC, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by meika123
            That looks tremendous-as does your complete gallery. Very impressive. I was especially intrigued by the take-down bow. Would like some spec's on the construction. Have always wanted to build one myself, and never got around to it.
            Very nice work all around. And from a fellow North Carolinian.

Dave in NC
            Take-down bow? Were you looking at my pictures, or switch to someone else's gallery? The photos at the bottom of the pages are random from everyone's photos. Mine aren't particularly impressive.
            Last edited by thrytis; 10-08-2007, 03:39 PM. Reason: forgot a not!
            Eric

Comment

• Larryl
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Lorena, TX, USA.
              • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Crosscut Sled

That is a very nice appliance, the planning and attention to detail is evident. Looks very "Kirbyish".
              I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Looks great! Is it fun lifting it on/off?
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• meika123
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Advance, NC, USA.
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by thrytis
                  Take-down bow? Were you looking at my pictures, or switch to someone else's gallery? The photos at the bottom of the pages are random from everyone's photos. Mine aren't particularly impressive.
                  Sorry, my friend. I mistakenly got on jolly 1's gallery, and being a former bowhunter, was attracted to the bow. I have always wanted to build one anyway.
                  BTW: your sled looks great.

Dave in NC

Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• THyman
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

That looks great! Did you base your design on a particular book or design?
                    War Eagle!

Comment

• thrytis
                      • May 2004
                      • Concord, NC, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

Yes, the sled is a pain hanging it up and taking it down because of the weight. It isn't to the point that i'm going to do this though.

If you browse the woodnet forums for crosscut sled designs, you'll see elements copied from several. I looked through all the designs i could find and picked what i thought worked best for me.
                      Eric

Comment

Working...