• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

CMS installation in shop

I'm designing a shop layout for half a two-car garage. As you look in the garage door, the right half is available to me, while the left half has two banks of 18" deep storage separated by a 2' aisle. There's a door into the house near the back of the left wall, and a door to the side yard about 3' before the back right wall. Washer, dryer, furnace, water heater, and water softener take up the lefthand 3/4 of the back wall. A clear walk space needs to be maintained between the left (house) door and right (side yard) door. Means my space available for tools, benches, etc. is really only about 9x17.

Since my dust collector is in a shed I built just outside the garage, it seems best to put the power tools along the righthand wall near the DC entry hole, and put the workbench near the center of the garage, running from front toward the back, itself backing up on the storage shelving on the left hand half of the garage.

So, compactness, mobility, flexibility, and multipurposing are critical. I'm looking hard at how to set up the 12" CMS. On the one hand, in itself it doesn't use too much space (2'x2' perhaps). But, of course, one uses it to cut long boards. I don't do this often enough that I need permanent side extensions, so I've been thinking of building one of those cabinets with flip-up side supports, putting the whole thing on wheels so I can pull it out where I can manage more room on the sides.

I was thinking that I might put my Delta planer on the cabinet's "floor", below the CMS, with front and back open for passing boards through the planer. Since neither the planer nor CMS need any particular add-ons (like drill bits or blades or whatever), I'd not miss having storage in the "cabinet", and could devote a few inches top and bottom to some anti-racking aprons.

I'd appreciate comments on these ideas, suggestions for alternatives, and pointers about how I might incorporate dust collection into them. I've yet to set up and use the planer, but am tired of how the CMS spews sawdust over half my wall when I use it. As a side comment, anyone built an effective alternative to those $200 dust collection hoods for a CMS? Seems like one could rivet some properly shaped plastic cutouts, seal them with silicone, clamp and seal to a DC hookup, for a lot less money!
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

I put mine on a Rigid MSUV and it has worked well. I wheel the saw to near the door or outside on good days. It folds up into a vertical 2 x 2 x 5 footprint and is very handy. I have pretty good dust collection but went this way for the flexibility.
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I do not have a 12 inch CMS, yet. I have a 10 inch. Both it and my radial arm saw are on a long bench along one wall of my shop. I have drawers for storage underneith. On top is a long rail with flip stops. For dust collection, I have a hose that hooks up to the outlet of either the RAS or CMS (I have to move it from one to the other) and another 4 inch pipe down low against the bench top (almost) with plywood baffles beside the saws to direct the dust towards the pipe. It doesn't work either great or bad. I have to push dust towards the pipe some but it keeps a big mess from building up.

Jim

Comment

Working...