• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Pegboard as bookcase back?

I've seen 1/4" plywood used as backing for bookcases, and wonder if pegboard is sturdy enough to serve the same anti-racking, strengthening purpose. I'm thinking of building a hutch for my workbench, and can see a use for pegboard. Could always put it in front of the normal plywood back, but that's extra work!
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

David,

Sounds like a good idea to me, but I would:

a) use 1/4 inch pegboard in stead of the usual flimsy 1/8 inch,

b) install cross braces on the back of the bookcase - that will serve to strenghten the frame and provide the spacing you need behind the pegboard. (Although you would block a couple of rows of holes.)

Regards, Steve

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

+1 on Steve's advice, but you'd not find the 1/4" pegboard easily; i have found 1/8 and 3/16" in HD/Lowes, and i think the 3/16" is pretty thick for all purposes.

Also, when you add the brace, you could be careful to add it right behind a shelf or something so you don't really block usable holes.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Basically in that configuration the holes don't cause any loss of rigidity in the plane of the panel. As long as you hold it flat it should prevent racking. 3/16" sounds fine.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

A lot of folding workbench projects and such call for doing this...just as Loring advised.

Comment

Working...