• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailor
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2003
    • Bel Air, Maryland, USA.

Ripping long boards

To rip boards longer than a couple of feet it was necessary to first remove a step stool, a ladder, and the barbeque; then place boards in front of the door to the shed; then roll the saw out the door and down the incline. Then reverse the procedure when the ripping was finished.

The answer was to cut a hole in the wall of the shed below a window; save the cutout, add trim and hinges; then attach the cutout as a flap. A butterfly button on the inside keeps the flap closed and a bungee cord keeps it open when sawing.

Now it is possible to rip 6-foot boards without moving the saw. A roller stand placed outside the shed catches the board as it moves through the opening.
    Attached Files
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Good that your saw backs up to an outside wall. And, it must be warm there.

Seems to me though that you have the perfect argument for a bigger shop.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Excellent solution.

Comment

• pecker
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003

When I had to rip a bunch of 12ft boards, I set my saw up on bricks, a couple layers high, until the saw table top was at the height of my basement window sills. The rear 3 ft of the boards stuck out the window, and as I fed the board thru the sawblade I had the wife guide the front end out the opposite window.

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

ripping long boards

You might want to think about a good outfeed table outside of the building
          to catch the cut-off portion as it exits the saw and the outside wall, to keep it from falling to the ground. eezlock

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

Great thinking on the wall flap.
            I see shelving space in that door frame. A couple of one by 3's some 1/8 slats and some finishing nails and you have narrow shelves for storage of small items.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Sailor
              To rip boards longer than a couple of feet it was necessary to first remove a step stool, a ladder, and the barbeque; then place boards in front of the door to the shed; then roll the saw out the door and down the incline. Then reverse the procedure when the ripping was finished.

The answer was to cut a hole in the wall of the shed below a window; save the cutout, add trim and hinges; then attach the cutout as a flap. A butterfly button on the inside keeps the flap closed and a bungee cord keeps it open when sawing.

Now it is possible to rip 6-foot boards without moving the saw. A roller stand placed outside the shed catches the board as it moves through the opening.

A stroke of creativity. A cool solution and a cool shed. You should post a warning sign on the outside: "CAUTION-WOOD COMING THRU!".

Comment

• MURPHY-D
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2003
                • San Antonio, New Mexico, USA.

Sailor,

Good idea. You could build a hinged outfeed table outside under your flap that folds down when not in use with a hinged leg for support when needed.
                Don
                \"One of our 50 is missing\"

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Very creative solution.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Love the ingenuity!
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...