• Show
Clear All
  • rosesunkist
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • LaVernia, TX
    • BT3100

I expanded my workshed

After much deliberation, I decided to expand my workspace. So it goes from this:

to this:

Ultimately the choice was obvious when I found the EZ-Up cheap at Wally World. It is actually pretty good quality, much better than I would have expected for such a low price. I made the ramps myself, and, YES, they make it much easier to get the BT out of the shed/shop. All the wood there is reclaimed treated 2x6s that I cut into 1" pieces for a friend's deck.

And before anybody yells at me, I know there is no safety on the saw.... I have used my parents table saw without one for years. Actually I never knew they existed until I got on here a year and a half ago . So I have my own safety techniques for using the saw. I know, I know! No need to say it.... But I am using a push stick, and that is progress, and I am working on using the safety gear.
    Last edited by rosesunkist; 03-18-2007, 11:49 PM.
    Just think of something witty and pretend you saw it here.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

That's a neat setup. Ther shade will be nice under the Texas sun this summer.
    k

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

expanded shed....

Kinda', sorta', reminds me of Pappy's Playplace before he started renovations
      and acquired the new building for more added space. eezlock

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Not gonna show this to my wife. She'll kick me out of the basement and into our shed.

I won't yell at you for no safety. I haven't had a guard on my saw in 6 years.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ejs1097
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

The other benefit about working outside is the light. Less sawdust too. Great setup
          Eric
          Be Kind Online

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by eezlock
            Kinda', sorta', reminds me of Pappy's Playplace before he started renovations
            and acquired the new building for more added space. eezlock
            You mean this?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	BT3K at the ready.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	780632

Or the shaded version? (Before the shade cloth gave way to corrugated 'glass panels.)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaded work area.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	780631

Trust me, there ain't no amount of shade gonna help under a Texas sun when the mercury hits 100 and the humidity is at 80%!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• rosesunkist
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2006
              • LaVernia, TX
              • BT3100

Actually I thought about making a small deck like yours, but I decided agaist it because I am renting and I don't want anything too permanent (i.e. anything I can't take with me, within reason) But I got tired of putting it in the sand, so I got a sheet of 3/4 ply for it to sit on.
              My next little project is to fix the wheels on it.... They do NOT like to go straight when I wheel it back up into the shed. And btw, it made the ramp in two pieces, so when I am done for the day, I just hang each section on the back of the doors.

And I do miss the real Texas heat. After a year in Kosovo, where the coldest day was -15*F and the warmest around 85*, some heat feels good.

And another side note...You see the little wooden chair to the right? My mom tells me that she bought it down in Mexico for $2......30 YEARS AGO. No reason to get rid of something just because it is old, right???
              Last edited by rosesunkist; 03-19-2007, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• gaj1967
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007
                • Luling, La.
                • BT3000

I didn't know I had a work shed similar to others. 10 x 12 metal shed to keep tools dry and secure then drag them out to make sawdust. For shad I have a patio table umbrella, ya know the big heavy things stuck in a concrete pedestal. Power is via long extension cord plugged into the closest outlet, a GFCI about 50 feet away.

One of these days I'll get a real work shed that I can stand up straight in. lol
                Gil

BT3000

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rosesunkist
                  And another side note...You see the little wooden chair to the right? My mom tells me that she bought it down in Mexico for $2......30 YEARS AGO. No reason to get rid of something just because it is old, right???
                  That thing with the hole in the top?
                  I thought that was your benchtop router table. Really. I was feeling sorry for you.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rosesunkist
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2006
                    • LaVernia, TX
                    • BT3100

Actually I was talking about the chair in the second pic. But your idea sounds pretty good to me! lol That thing with the hole was here in the lot when we moved in. It ain't broke enough to get rid of it, yet crappy enough to leave outside without a second thought. I wonder what the previous residents used it for. Um, wait, 86 that train of thought.

Comment

• Workman
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

I have proved that you can operate a BT3100 with full extension rails (84") on a cabinet, 72" workbench with additional room for tail vise as well as front vise, 14" bandsaw (Grizzly), Hitachi 16" drill press (floor standing), 42" lathe, 13" planer and 4" jointer (an antique) in a 12 X 12 foot shed (it does have full standing height), still have some room for wood storage, BTW it is also climate controlled, and includes a Bostich pancake air compressor, Ridgid Shop Vac, and large bin-style storage rack for all the hardware. However, my "shed" is getting an addition for the DC with plans to also relocate the air compressor and shop vac. Of course, the real secret is wheels on everything (except the lathe), keeping the runway clear (I have a window I occassionally have to open for long rips) and picking up your stuff! Do you know how many people could easily say there shop is only about 4 X 6 whose walls measure 16 X 24 but just can't pick up? I love your shop!

Comment

Working...