• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

Where to put SCMS in small shop??

So, the LOML bought me the Bosch 12" SCMS for Christmas, and loving it. My dilemma, now that I have a dedicated shop in the house we moved into, is where to put it? Its a 1 car garage at 11x20. I like the idea of a station under a lumber rack, but I just dont think I have the room with the travel that thing needs for the slide. Kind of wishing I had gotten the Hitachi now. Any suggestions on a space saving way to set it up? Thanks!
    Gary
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I just mounted my 10" bosch scms on the ridgid MSUV. it takes less then a minute to set up and folds up fairly small.

MSUV is on sale at HD for $99 right now.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• bthere
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Alpharetta, GA

I have a pretty tight and odd shaped area in my basement that is not much bigger than your 11x20. I mounted my 12" slider on the excellent Ridgid MSUV (still at $99 at HD). I have a couple of benches that the MSUV can stand between. The benches act as extended tables for the saw. If I need that extra space between the benches, I just fold up the MSUV and roll it out of the way.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My current shop (I'm about to move it) is 10 x 19, and I have my CMS located at roughly the 1/3 - 2/3 point along one long wall. There's 12' to the left of the blade, where most long stock is positioned, and not quite 7' to the right. I use the full capacity on both sides regularly.

The saw is a non-slider, so I don't have the depth issues you do. If you can't find a permanent home for the saw on one of your 20' walls, then the MSUV is likely your best option.
        Larry

Comment

• GaryA
          Established Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Tampa, FL, USA.

Thanks guys - going to check out the MSUV. Doesnt look like its on sale online....hopefully it is in the stores.
          Gary

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

While I would prefer a fixed CMS, I also use the MSUV and like that setup. If you have shop space that you can grow into while working, then collapse back when done, it works great. I usually wheel it just outside the garage door to setup in the driveway. It was also nice to be able to haul to the back yard when working on the shed and expect it will be nice when we put in the deck too.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• GaryA
              Established Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Tampa, FL, USA.

yeah, I guess the only thing about that is that the saw is really heavy...I wanted a slider - I just should have taken more consideration to space req.... didnt realize how deep it was (about 36"). I guess I could leave something like the MSUV set up with the saw on it near the opening of the garage (maybe with the saw turned sideways)
              Gary

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                • Dec 2006
                • hagerstown, md

I was in the borg this past weekend and the rigid was $99 mate so hopefully you'll be in luck
                パトリック
                daiku woodworking
                ^deshi^
                neoshed

Comment

• bthere
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Alpharetta, GA

Originally posted by GaryA
                  yeah, I guess the only thing about that is that the saw is really heavy...I wanted a slider - I just should have taken more consideration to space req.... didnt realize how deep it was (about 36"). I guess I could leave something like the MSUV set up with the saw on it near the opening of the garage (maybe with the saw turned sideways)
                  That's what I do when I have it folded out of the way. I angle the saw as far as it will go and then lock the carriage at a point where it doesn't overhang the MSUV. While it's impossible to make a 12" SCMS small, this stores it pretty efficiently.

BTW, the guys at my local HD said that the $99 for the MSUV was supposed to be good through the end of the month.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Here's a coupe of ideas... my SCMS base is home-made and with a Wolfcraft extention (de-mounted from legs) secured to the top. The extentions are sturdier than the Ridgid I looked at and will extend to 10'. With over-hang of stock it gives you 16' cross-cut capability supported. Closed the whole shooting match is 4'.

The Ridgid stand would work find and Delta makes one that folds up and stores vertical. When folded.. it is a hand truck to speak.

Regards...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• GaryA
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Tampa, FL, USA.

Just picked up the MSUV & mounted my SCMS on it last night....loving it!! What a great design. I thought it might be too much hassle to deal with setup & breakdown that it would keep me from using it as frequently, but I now see its a handle pull, then a squeeze and it's set up (unless I go full extension on the roller wings. Thanks for the great advice guys!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by GaryA; 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM.
                      Gary

Comment

• ryan.s
                        • Feb 2006
                        • So Cal
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Nice set up Gary. I have the exact same saw and MSUV. I noticed that the extension tables were hard to pull out when the saw was directly mounted on the MSUV so I added 1/8 inch masonite shims under each of the 4 feet of the saw and now there are no problems.

Comment

• GaryA
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Tampa, FL, USA.

Ryan - interesting. So far, mine seems to clear OK, but good idea if I run into trouble.
                          Gary

Comment

• Tom Slick
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                            • sears BT3 clone

make sure that the table clicks in and locks when it is up and down. it is doesn't lock in the down position the whole thing will flip over when you tip it up to roll it.
                            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...