• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WoodButcher26
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Dayton, OH

Overarm saw guard

I'm finishing up a saw table mounting my BT3, now have 52" to the right of the blade. At the same time I'm running the ducting for my DC, and trying to figure out how to pick up the dust at the saw guard. I was planning on getting a Shark, and running the hose down to a Y at the back of the saw, but realized that I would make the big table unusable by doing that.

I'm considering trying to build a homemade overarm saw guard with integrated dust sucker, has anyone tried this? I really can't afford the $400 for an XCalibur or the like, but would really like to have the dust collection. Any suggestions are welcome.

Kim
    Measure it with a micrometer...
    Mark it with a crayon...
    Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Penn State Industries sells a blade guard with a hole for dust collection. Someone on Sawmillcreek.org used an aluminum bar clamp and attached it to a rafter and connected to the PSI guard.

Comment

• Slik Geek
      • Dec 2006
      • Lake County, Illinois
      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by WoodButcher26
      trying to figure out how to pick up the dust at the saw guard. I was planning on getting a Shark, and running the hose down to a Y at the back of the saw, but realized that I would make the big table unusable by doing that. Kim
      I just ran the hose from the Shark Guard up to the ceiling, over to the end of the BT3000 extension table, and down to the floor. There, the hose joins a wye which also connects to a hose from the back of the BT. Works reasonably well.

Comment

• don thompson
        Forum Newbie
        • Sep 2004

I'm finishing up a saw table mounting my BT3, now have 52" to the right of the blade. At the same time I'm running the ducting for my DC, and trying to figure out how to pick up the dust at the saw guard. I was planning on getting a Shark, and running the hose down to a Y at the back of the saw, but realized that I would make the big table unusable by doing that.

I'm considering trying to build a homemade overarm saw guard with integrated dust sucker, has anyone tried this? I really can't afford the $400 for an XCalibur or the like, but would really like to have the dust collection. Any suggestions are welcome.

Kim
        Take a look at this monts issue of ShopNotes. They show a blade guard/dust collector that may be what you are looking for

Comment

• softop41
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Plainfield, IL, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Slik Geek,
          I also ran my hose up to the ceiling and connected to a 4" run of DC piping going across the ceiling. The Shark has a gate valve of its own, so that for those times when it has to be off the saw, I'm not loosing airflow through it. I also use a bicycle hanging hook in the ceiling over the saw to hang the Shark when it isn't on the saw; very convenient.
          Jerry
          Jerry
          Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• WoodButcher26
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Dayton, OH

Originally posted by softop41
            Slik Geek,
            I also ran my hose up to the ceiling and connected to a 4" run of DC piping going across the ceiling.
            Jerry
            Guessing that you had to use flex tube, any issues with the amount of airflow? The runs on my DC system that have the flex reduce the airflow a bit, I'm concerned about taking it down to the point where it really isn't doing any good.

Kim
            Mark it with a crayon...
            Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Here are a few plans for building an arm at the bottom of this page.
              http://leestyron.com/whale.php

Also here are a few ways guys have setups on their systems.
              http://www.leestyron.com/sharkdc.php
              Lee

Comment

• JamesDad
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006

In Wood magazine's issue "Best ever workshops 2005" they have a plan
                for an overarm guard with dust collection. There are parts of the guard that
                are wood where clear plastic would be better. Other than that the plan looks
                pretty good.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Lake County, Illinois
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by softop41
                  I also ran my hose up to the ceiling and connected to a 4" run of DC piping going across the ceiling. The Shark has a gate valve of its own, so that for those times when it has to be off the saw, I'm not loosing airflow through it. I also use a bicycle hanging hook in the ceiling over the saw to hang the Shark when it isn't on the saw; very convenient. Jerry
                  After the wye on the floor where the BT3000 rear and upper Shark tubes merge, I have a gate on the floor that controls both of those ports, at the front of the extended saw table, against the wall. It is convenient for my foot to close off both ports when I'm not using the saw. (Have to bend over to turn it back on - I consider that part of my exercise program!)

I don't have a gate on the Shark, air still flows even when the guard is off the saw. I like the bicycle hanging hook idea! Beats leaving my Shark "swimming around", hanging by the hose.

Guessing that you had to use flex tube, any issues with the amount of airflow? Kim
                  My current setup uses 2-1/2" flex tubing all the way from the Shark to the wye. (It took two "10 foot" pieces of clear flex). I didn't have any more 4" flex on hand, so that is how I configured it.

I've never tried anything other setup, and haven't seen others, so I can't say if mine works "as good" as softop41's, for example. Perhaps I could get better dust collection with larger diameter tubes - but after more than 10 years with no guard at all, I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase. I'm ecstatic with how convenient the Shark Guard is and how much improved the dust collection has been with it in place that I haven't started wondering if I can improve its performance from 98% collection to 99.5%! (I chuckle with how long I stewed over spending the bucks for the Shark Guard - absolutely no regrets here).

Perhaps if I visited somebody's shop with smooth, fixed tubes, I'd come home with a case of dust collection envy??
                  Last edited by Slik Geek; 02-25-2007, 09:32 AM. Reason: Poor wording obscured meaning

Comment

• WoodButcher26
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Dayton, OH

Originally posted by Stytooner
                    Here are a few plans for building an arm at the bottom of this page.
                    http://leestyron.com/whale.php

Also here are a few ways guys have setups on their systems.
                    http://www.leestyron.com/sharkdc.php
                    Thanks, Lee, the link to the PVC setup on your page is just what I had in mind. Should be hitting the page for a shark soon. Appreciate the help.

Kim
                    Mark it with a crayon...
                    Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• WoodButcher26
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Dayton, OH

Originally posted by JamesDad
                      In Wood magazine's issue "Best ever workshops 2005" they have a plan
                      for an overarm guard with dust collection. There are parts of the guard that
                      are wood where clear plastic would be better. Other than that the plan looks
                      pretty good.
                      That's apparently one of the few issues of Wood that I don't have. Guess I'll be hitting the WoodStore to try and come up with a back issue. Thanks for the info.

Kim
                      Mark it with a crayon...
                      Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

Working...