• Show
Clear All
  • emsmedic
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Lansing, MI
    • Ryobi BT3000

L6-15R Plug Installation

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and resurrecting my shop. I planned for the acquisition of a cyclone dust collector down the line and pulled wires for the 15A 220V NEMA L6-15R outlet the dust collector requires. But I ran into a little trouble when I tried to install the receptacle today.

I've installed 3-conductor w/ground romex from a double-pole 15A breaker at the panel (red power, black power, white neutral, bare ground). The receptacle (Hubbell Wiring Devices HBL4560) only has two screw terminals, both brass, and a separate ground screw. Both brass screw terminals have (2) push-in backwiring slots each. The extraordinarily detailed package instructions read:

"Connect conductors: Green or bare to green hex screw, white or gray to silver screw, black or red to brass screw." This makes sense, except.... there is no silver/neutral screw.

The Hubbell website (http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring...ces&PN=HBL4560) as proven less than helpful - I can find catalog pages and technical specifications, but no wiring diagrams or installation instructions. Any thoughts on what I've missed here?
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

I've always installed with conduit, so I'm not experienced with Romex. It's not entirely clear what your question is, but I'm guessing that you aren't sure which wire goes to which terminal on the receptacle?

Attach the black wire to either of the brass terminals, the red to the other brass terminal, and the ground to the ground (green) screw. The white (neutral) wire will be unused. Put a wire nut on the white wire. The red and black wires should the wires that attach to your ganged breaker at the panel.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I agree with slik geek, there is no neutral with 220v single phase. notice that your L6-15 plug only has 3 conductors, if it had 4 conductors it would be 3 phase. in the future you can save a few bucks by using regular 12-3 romex and putting some red electrical tape on each end of the white to signify that it is another hot leg but you don't even have to do that by code.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• emsmedic
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007
        • Lansing, MI
        • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just used to standard 110V wiring. I didn't have any idea the neutral wasn't necessary on a 220V.

I appreciate the help.

Comment

• Crash2510
          • Feb 2006
          • North Central Ohio

I agree with slik geek, there is no neutral with 220v single phase. Tom Slick

Not entirely true many are adding a neutral especially for dryers and ranges because of code.
          Phil In Ohio
          The basement woodworker

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by Crash2510
            I agree with slik geek, there is no neutral with 220v single phase. Tom Slick

Not entirely true many are adding a neutral especially for dryers and ranges because of code.
            The reason for the neutral in these cases, as I understand it, is that dryers and ranges, etc., have some components that run on 110V. (Especially true for newer appliances that simply have to have a digital clock. ) If you run a neutral, then you have 110 as well as 220 accessible to the appliance.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• bthere
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Alpharetta, GA

Some tools also use the dual 120/240 voltage that you have available when the neutral line is run. One instance is a bandsaw with 240V motor and 120V work light. Another is a drum sander with 240V drum motor and 120V feed motor.

Comment

• Crash2510
                • Feb 2006
                • North Central Ohio

Originally posted by Tom Miller
                The reason for the neutral in these cases, as I understand it, is that dryers and ranges, etc., have some components that run on 110V. (Especially true for newer appliances that simply have to have a digital clock. ) If you run a neutral, then you have 110 as well as 220 accessible to the appliance.

Regards,
                Tom
                Yes I knew that.
                I was just pointing out an example where a neutral would be necessary for a 240v application

sorry should have added this information
                Phil In Ohio
                The basement woodworker

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                  I agree with slik geek, there is no neutral with 220v single phase. notice that your L6-15 plug only has 3 conductors, if it had 4 conductors it would be 3 phase. in the future you can save a few bucks by using regular 12-3 romex and putting some red electrical tape on each end of the white to signify that it is another hot leg but you don't even have to do that by code.

Which part exactly is not required by code? I ain't an electrician but I thought anytime you energized a white wire you had to mark it with red or black to show it is engerized. Please explain this.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • sears BT3 clone

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    Which part exactly is not required by code? I ain't an electrician but I thought anytime you energized a white wire you had to mark it with red or black to show it is engerized. Please explain this.
                    I was making an assumption on that because none of the 220v stuff I have ever opened has had the ends of the white wires marked.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Crash2510
                      • Feb 2006
                      • North Central Ohio

technically you are supposed to mark the white, but I have never met a inspector that cared except for marking them in the panel
                      Phil In Ohio
                      The basement woodworker

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Finally after a half day of searching I have found my book on wiring. according to Wiring Simplified 40th edition By Richter, Schwan, Hartwell published by Park Publising, INC copywrite 2002 per NEC 200.7(C) the white can be used but must be re-identified as any color other than white or green wherever it is visable. To me this says both at the circuit breaker panel and any junction box or outlet box. IMHO there are very good reasons for this. Consider what happens if a later homeowner is not careful nor has a good knowledge of electric standards and connects a regular outlet to a 220v energized line because of only white black and bare copper at the outlet box.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • sears BT3 clone

I agree completely with you, I always re-mark the white with a black piece of tape. I have also made the mistake of being that later homeowner coming along and wiring up a light to two hot legs, it was really bright!!

what I should have said in my original post is "I'm not even sure if you have to do that by code." it would have been less confusing.

Comment

Working...