• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Shower Chair

The legs on the wife's shower stool bent out and it cloaspsed last week when she lost her balance and fell on it.

She mentioned that in one of her hospital stays she had a chair made out of PVC pipe and a toilet seat for a seat. A quick search showed a lot of links to ones for sale but I would like to find plans and make one. Anyone know where I can find them?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pappy, my wife broke a toe about three weeks ago. The first week she couldn't put any weight on the foot.
    I had bought her this gardening stool last year and it turns out its great for the shower. Very light weight, very stable, the right height and its well made so that the water doesn't even get in the hollow plastic moldings as I feared it might. After allowing to dry a bit, I can take it out of the shower and it doesn't slosh or drip at all from trapped water. $24 from Amazon.

PS its also meant to be used upside down (for kneeling while in the garden) and there's a removable knee pad velcroed to the underside we removed for this use.

http://www.amazon.com/Step-2-5A0100-...9488708&sr=8-5

its very clean now and in a week or two may be going back into the garden.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-18-2010, 04:56 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Not quite what you ask Pappy but.. my wife lost the nerves in her hamstrings and has to use a chair in the shower. It has aluminum legs.. a plastic molded seat and seat back if you can use one of that type. I think she gets them at Walgreen's Pharmacy or one of the pharmacies in the handi-cap section.

Good luck...

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I've looked at the ones in HD and Lowe's. The ones with a back on them area little too wide for our tub. The one she had was a stool with the aluminum legs and molded seat.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

If you want to make one similar to this one, it seems doing it in PVC would be fairly easy. Lay out one side as a pattern for the other. It would be easy to adjust the size and shape by cutting the lengths. A toilet seat could still be used.

Just pick up some pipe and fittings to do a layout. Plans may not be necessary. I made an aid to lift pet food bowls for a friend that had hip surgery...you may remember this thread. No plans, just did a rough layout with pieces. If you use PVC, keep in mind a sequence for gluing/assembly so all the parts get fitted.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

As Cab stated.... you could build one. My wife also has one similar to the one in the shower over her toilet but it doesn't have a back. That seat is taller to fit over the standard toilet. With partial loss of nerves in her ham-strings she has trouble getting up from a low seat. It does have a toilet seat that raises for guy types. That one is considerably narrower as I had to find one that fit the narrow partision between the double sinks and shower where the toilet is located. So.. I suppose they are made in various widths?

I would do a Google on handi-cap shower and toilet seats and see what pops up. I have a feeling someone makes what you are looking for so the width becomes the questionable factor.

Good luck in your search..

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

I can't look it up from here, but U-Build used to have a lot of plans for furniture made from PVC pipe. I don't know if they have what you are looking for though. Good luck.

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...