X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Question on measring miters

What is the secret to measuring length and taking into account the length of the mitered end?

No matter what I've tried, I always cut the last 2 peices too short unless it is a perfect square. I'm sure there is a very simple way, but it escapes me.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you basically have two choices - measuring the inside or outside.

if you are trying to fit a outer band around a table top, I always find it easier to measure the inside dimension of the miter to exactly match the outside of th table top you are fitting around.

I use a saddle square like those sold by Lee Valley to mark the edge and side of the piece to be cut. When you cut the miter make sure the cut bisects the side pencil line and meets the edge line right at the junction of the side and edge.

You should find the inside of the mitered pieces match the edge of the table top exactly. The corners will match w/o a gap.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• conwaygolfer
      Established Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Conway, SC.
      • BT3000

Or

you can do what I do - measure the length and add 1/8in. to it. Then after cutting just "sneak up on it". Takes a little longer but it is never too short.
      Hope this helps.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Measure the short edge of the miter where it fits the edge of the table edge. If you have a square table, you would think once you have one that fits, you could just set up stops. But, it never seems to work out perfectly.

If the saw is cutting perfect 45's, make up a test piece for both sides of the miter, and have the inside length a determined size...like 10", as examples. Then you can fit the two samples, and make a mark at the 10" length. This will tell you that whatever is the dimension to the next point, add 10". This also works out well if you work alone and installing trim, like base, chair, crown.

It's usually the case that the best fitting joints have been trimmed down for the tightest fit, because, you can't make wood longer by cutting it.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

If you are banding something existing you have gotten your answer with the sneak up.. if you are simply referring to mitering the sides of a small or large box.. etc., whole different story. You really didn't clarify what you were using the miters for.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

and as an added note, the long measurement will be longer than the short measurement by the thickness of the piece.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
              and as an added note, the long measurement will be longer than the short measurement by the thickness of the piece.
              actually, twice the thickness.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mjernigan
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2004

Actually, that depends on the angle of the miter; you're assuming a 45 degree miter, in which case your answer is correct. Change the angle and twice the thickness is no longer valid.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  actually, twice the thickness.
                  True, if you miter both ends.

Originally posted by mjernigan
                  Actually, that depends on the angle of the miter; you're assuming a 45 degree miter, in which case your answer is correct. Change the angle and twice the thickness is no longer valid.
                  Equally true, I have been replacing the trim on my doors and windows as I reside the house and while nothing else is square on the house the factory made windows are. Thus I have 45's on the brain.

Bill

Comment

Working...