Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Help!!!

I need someone to tell me how to do the following:

I want to make a circular mortise on the top of the lid of my next jewelry box. The hole will be approx 1 1/2" in diameter and go only 2/3 of the way thru the top.

What I'm stuck with is how to get the bottom of the mortise to "flare" out so you can get a finger pull type pf purchase.

The following rather crude illustration hopefully shows what I'm trying to achieve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top-Pull.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	796929

The hole will be bored out using a forstner bit, but how do I get the "flare" or undercut. I guess there must be a router bit that does this, as I seen it done on drawer finger pulls.

Your help is necessary, in that I promised this box to my niece and nephew (to be) for their wedding. And if I can't deliver, my wife will use me for a moving target, or maybe coyote bait.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Bruce,
    There are different finger-pull specialty router bits - but would something simple like a dovetail bit suit your application?
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I'd use a template and a brass collar with a dovetail bit to cut the outer edge, then hollow out the remainder with a standard bit. Then, save the template for next time, marking the collar size and bit selection on it with a sharpie marker.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        I'd use a template and a brass collar with a dovetail bit to cut the outer edge, then hollow out the remainder with a standard bit. Then, save the template for next time, marking the collar size and bit selection on it with a sharpie marker.
        yes, this is how i'd do it, you can use any bit that's larger at the bottom (with the router up) like a dovetail or a T-slot bit or door lip or finger pull to undercut the edge.
        you might go to the MLCSWOOWDWORKINg.com page and look at the router bit profiles page to see what would work.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I would first machine the hole with the forstner to the depth you want. Then use a dovetail bit with a collar to guide on the hole size. Set the depth of the dovetail to the bottom of the mortise. You want a short step of flat to keep the edge in tact.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I think the advice so far is close, but not perfect, Bruce.

Yes, use a forstner bit. Yes, use a dovetail bit and a collar, or even better, a <1/2" bearing. But you'll probably want to drive the forstner bit through a piece of MDF or plywood and into the lid. this will create a template for the collar/bearing to ride on. I don't think you'll have enough material on the side of the hole above the dovetail for a gollar or bearing to ride one if you don't do this.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for your help and solutions to solving my problem.

Haven't got a chance to test any out, the box is still in the design stage and at this point, I'm not even sure if this is going to be the element to open the lid(s). The box will have to have a split or dual lid allowing two users to have their own compartment in one box.

I'll let you know what happens.

Somehow, I was hoping for a single router bit to make this cut, but I guess it only exists in my slightly damaged mind.

Bruce
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

The dovetail bit can be used to hog out the hole if you want.

JR
                JR

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Another way to possibly do it and to be able to use some other curved cutter profiles would be to cut the hole all the way through the top, and then laminate another piece of wood to the bottom of the lid. The laminated piece could also have some nice figure or be a contrasting wood that would be framed by the circular hole.

It could also be smaller around the edges of the top so it would fit down into the box. That way, you wouldn't need to work around any edge issues with differing grain, colors etc on the exposed box top.
                  Erik

Comment

• RayintheUK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I go with pelligrini's method, using a dutchman inlay bit to insert it from below. That way you can make the inner chamfer on the top very easily.

Ray
                    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      Another way to possibly do it and to be able to use some other curved cutter profiles would be to cut the hole all the way through the top, and then laminate another piece of wood to the bottom of the lid. The laminated piece could also have some nice figure or be a contrasting wood that would be framed by the circular hole.

It could also be smaller around the edges of the top so it would fit down into the box. That way, you wouldn't need to work around any edge issues with differing grain, colors etc on the exposed box top.
                      Now that sounds like a really nifty "work-a-round.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

Now maybe someone can tell me the correct six numbers for tomorrow's lottery.

Bruce
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

This method:

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        I would first machine the hole with the forstner to the depth you want. Then use a dovetail bit with a collar to guide on the hole size. Set the depth of the dovetail to the bottom of the mortise. You want a short step of flat to keep the edge in tact.
                        I did a rough sketch below to show how it would look. Leaving a short flat vertical edge before creating the angle, will provide substantial thickness where fingers grab to minimize tear out or damage to a thin tapered edge, versus a straight edge. The drawing is not to scale.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

I like the hole in the top idea of Bruce's and was trying to figure out how I'd do it on a project I've ben licking around in my head. I couldn't get the geometry to work out very well just using a dovetail bit and a collar bushing. The thickness of the collar bushing was throwing things off and the edge of the dovetail cutter would need to be very, very close to the collar. I was ending up with a pretty big flat bearing edge. It works better if I'd make a MDF template and use it with a collar bushing and dovetail bit. I wasn't too sure how'd the bottom of the hole would look like too. Sanding it after drilling and the dovetail bit wouldn't be easy. I'd still have an indention in the middle for my forstner bit point too.
                          Erik

Comment

Working...