Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Baby crib in progress

Our baby is due on Monday so there is a sense of urgency to finish the crib
    ASAP. I'm using the Wood plans with only slight mods. It's weird building from
    someone else's plans. The build didn't take too long and now it's down to the
    finishing. I decided to go as "natural" and odor-free as possible. I also
    decided to spray it on with my Wagner HVLP.

Cobbled together this rig this afternoon and hung the crib parts with hooks.
    My neighbor had a sound of concern in her voice when she saw me erecting
    it. Her fears went away when I told her it was temporary and what it was for.

This is after one coat of shellac.

I lightly sanded the raised grain and I was about to shoot another coat when
    the turbine quit on me. I couldn't get it to start!!! I ended up wiping the
    coat on with a rag and in a darkening backyard.

I'm really pissed about this HVLP situation. I tried to take the thing apart but
    they used Torx screws with the metal bump in the middle! I do have Torx
    removers and was able to get some out, but some are so deep in the case I
    can't get to them. Double argh!

I don't think HF sells that HVLP anymore. Triple argh! I was going to shoot
    some water based lacquer tomorrow but looks like I need to find another
    solution.

Paul
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

My first thought was "That a BIG, rustic crib! Where's the mattress?" But then I read the post.

The HVLP issues really stink, but it looks like it's going to be a great crib! I don't remember if it's your first or not, but newborns don't move a lot, so a crib delay might not even affect you all that much.

My guess is 9 days late, 8lbs 2oz.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, Paul - when did you start that!? If that's what you did in a few days I am more than doubly impressed As for the torx head screws, those are tamper proof torx head and you can pick up a set at auto or HF stores. Whatever you do, please make sure you leave enough time for the finish to truly gas off... it sometimes takes longer than you can imagine. As for baby, being on my second who is now walking, you might want the infant to sleep in your room in a separate smaller crib/travel crib/bassinet for the first few months. The logistics of feeding and hearing when they wake is more easily accomplished this way. You really don't want them crying to tell you their hungry, better to catch it before that point, IMHO. Good luck and please post that beautiful baby when he/she is here!
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• charliex
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I'm impressed. I built the Wood Mag. 3-way crib for our granddaughter and it took me almost a month. If I remember correctly there is about 161 pieces not counting the hardware. Nice job. The paint rack is impressive also.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Alex Franke
          My guess is 9 days late, 8lbs 2oz.
          My wife is definitely not a fan of yours right now.

Originally posted by chopnhack
          Wow, Paul - when did you start that!? If that's what you did in a few days I am more than doubly impressed
          Originally posted by charliex
          I'm impressed. I built the Wood Mag. 3-way crib for our granddaughter and it took me almost a month. If I remember correctly there is about 161 pieces not counting the hardware. Nice job. The paint rack is impressive also.
          Definitely not days. I probably started a month ago but had lots of interruptions
          like having to work Memorial Day weekend and then getting the flu I'm
          not doing the toddler bed portion and will do the long bed rails some time
          later.

Whatever you do, please make sure you leave enough time for the finish to truly gas off... it sometimes takes longer than you can imagine.
          I will keep that in mind. I wanted to do straight shellac but I think I'd need
          too many coats. We have a basinet which will be in our bedroom. I figure if
          I can finish this off this week, I'll have at least 1-2 months for the WB
          lacquer to off-gas before the baby moves to the crib.

I'm going to look into a compressor driven HVLP. The newer turbine isn't
          stocked at my local HF. My compressor just meets the CFM requirements.
          I think I'll also look into getting a spare tank.

Paul

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

The spare tank will help quite a bit if your not spraying too fast. I had an hvlp gun that I was using off of my compressor and using a paint pot helped me cycle my compressor a little less. A month with interruptions is still really good for that many pieces. Don't expect to be able to do projects like that for awhile, lol

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I know diddly about spraying but.. congrats on the soon to be and clever thinking on the spray hangars. You should tell your neighbor you changed your mind and you will use the frames for an outdoor rustic swing set. Ahhhh.. never mind! I start enough trouble in my neighborhood..

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

The spare tank will help quite a bit if your not spraying too fast. I had an hvlp gun that I was using off of my compressor and using a paint pot helped me cycle my compressor a little less. A month with interruptions is still really good for that many pieces. Don't expect to be able to do projects like that for awhile, lol
                I'm back in business. Bought a $35 gravity cup HVLP at Woodcraft. Bought
                a HVLP regulator and oil filter at HF and I was good to go. I didn't get the
                spare tank yet but this setup works pretty well. The compressor does run a
                lot, though. I like all the settings on the gun and the whole getup doesn't
                leak finish like my Wagner did. I think this setup atomizes better, too.

Chopnhack, how did you pipe in the spare tank? Do you know the thread size
                of the port in your spare tank?

Paul

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I really don't recall off hand, I haven't used the setup in years (used it when spraying lots of trim with latex). The one thing that I can remember is that I was able to thread on my quick couplers so if those are 1/4" npt? that might help you

Comment

Working...