• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Quadrant hinges

About a month ago I posted a query about installing quadrant hinges. I now realize I had posted an almost identical query last year!

Well, I think I licked the problem. The main trick was to make a multiple-part assembly. I'm using a router with 1/2" collet and 5/16" straight bit. The widths of the three center parts are calculated using the length of the hinge arms, plus the difference between the bit and collet. There is also going to be an arm centered underneath the center part (see below) so that has to be added in there, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	The pieces.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	796897

I used a brass setup bar to get the desired 1/2" gap for the collet. The playing card adds a little "english" to accomodate the fact that the hinge is ever-so-slightly wider than 5/16". The stack of bars locates the center piece the right distance for the back arm. Here's the assembly in glue-up.

Name:	Glue up.jpg
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	796898

Here's the top top panel of the "prototype" (meaning that my quadruple-checked measurements were wrong ). Note that the end panel is slightly shorter than the sum of the widths of the other panels. This facilitates squaring up the assembly once complete.

Name:	Assembled.jpg
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	796899

Here's the final product. I centered a dado in the center panel into which an piece of 3/4" stock is glued. The top and bottom of the box are clamped to this arm when the template is in use. Also notice that there is a piece of stock on the far side which keeps the top and bottom aligned. After cutting one mortise, the template is reversed for mortising the other side of the box.

Name:	Final template.jpg
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	796900

The best part - it works!

Name:	Hinges installed.jpg
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	796901

JR
    Last edited by JR; 06-24-2010, 03:51 PM.
    JR
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Nice work. Those hinges look nice. Don't lose the template.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Great mortising template, and well thought out. For the arm, is this simply drilled out, and if so, drill before or after the mortising?
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
        Great mortising template, and well thought out. For the arm, is this simply drilled out, and if so, drill before or after the mortising?
        Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I left the template in place and switched to a smaller bit. Then I had to hog out the hole for the arm by eyeballing the fore/aft limits.

JR
        JR

Comment

Working...