• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Gluing Up Mirrors - Help Needed

I built an in-the-wall cabinet for our bathroom remodel that is to have a mirrored door. The door backing is 1/2 MDF and I want to glue a 3/16 in mirror to it (21 x 20). I have "Mirror Mastic" but it states that the surface must be properly sealed with "approved primer/sealer". Nowhere on the tube of mastic does it say what an "approved primer/sealer" is.

As noted, I am using 1/2 in MDF for the backing. I can prime it either with Kilz or with shellac. Which one?

Thanks for the advice, regards, Steve.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I can't reccomend a product for priming, but when I do work on specs and submittals (absolutely hate 'em) and run across an unfamilar product with poor descriptions and installation instructions I will find out what it is (basic type) and look at cutsheets for similar products.
    Erik

Comment

• Hoover
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • USA.

Google is your friend: http://www.piedmontplastics.com/html...mastic-505.htm
      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

gluing up mirrors

From what I read in you post...you are wanting to mount the mirror...correct?
        If in doubt, about some of the other products and are not sure of their ability
        to hold that mirror, forget them and use some good old liquid nails! that stuff
        really works when other things only fail. I'm finding more uses for it all the time
        and liking the results better with each application. Hope this helps...

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • BT3100-1

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found a reference on the web that recommends "good quality acrylic latex" primer over bare wood. I guess I'll use the Kilz.

Thanks again, regards, Steve.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Both Mirror Mastic and Liguid Nail work better on non-porous surfaces. I usually just laminate with mica. Double sided tape also works on non-porous surfaces.

FWIW, don't use caulking as a mirror adhesive. Many contain ingredients that will eat the silvering from the mirror.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Liquid nails does produce a mirror mastic product. I have used it and it is good. I know this because I have also removed that mirror and installed a higher quality one.
              Mastic should not harden. When it does, it can pull the silver backing off as well as distort a thinner glass mirror. BTDT.
              I love liquid nails for a lot of applications, but use according to the label.
              Any good primer or paint will suffice for surface prep. You can stick a mirror to sheet rock that has been painted, so any relatively smooth surface should do well. Even glass on glass would not be unheard of with proper mastic. Asthetic considerations apply though.
              Lee

Comment

• steve-norrell
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • BT3100-1

Thanks for all the help.

I will use mirror mastic to glue the mirror to MDF that has been primed with Kilz. I don't expect any problems.

Thanks again, Steve.

Comment

Working...