• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by JohnnyTest

2) I need to come up with a way to make the hole for the switch. I don't know of anyway to make a perfect rectangle cutout. I am going to try a router jig and see if I can use a small straight bit and plunge it out.
    Mortising machine/attachment?

By the way, our old home had some wood plates. They didn't have a metal backing, and appeared to be stock plates from the big box.

The wood will hold back fire better than the plastic of many UL-listed boxes (or plastic switch plates for that matter).

-Tim

Comment

• JohnnyTest
      Established Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Joppa, Maryland.

I have to say that this place is great. Just when you think you have run out of ideas, just come here, and before you know it you will be right back on track.

From what I have learned, most of those wood plates don't have the metal backing. I even found places online that sell them and asked if they had the backing plates and was told NO. So although a good point to bring up I am going to look past the UL listing.

I am going to try a few different methods for doing the holes, I'll hopefully have some good news tomorrow about this all.

Comment

• JohnnyTest
        Established Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Joppa, Maryland.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the ideas on how to go about this.

I am still not done with the jig however, reason being I am trying to make it so that I can cut the recess for the back as well as the switch hole in the center for single, double and triple switch outlets. That piece of the jig should be done tonight. I am using a 3/16" router bit to cut the center, works pretty good.
        I am going to cut the outlet plates using a metal one as a template and then use a flush trim bit with a bearing. That way I just make a hole with a drill bit and then put the trim bit in the hole and cut to template size.
        I am been making them out of plywood for practice and to get the measurement right. Next is to order up some 1/4" cherry to make the real things.

Comment

• JohnnyTest
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Joppa, Maryland.

Done deal folks !!!
          I spent a good portion of the weekend working with some 1/4" cherry and mahogony. Its crazy how many wall plates there are in a room. Once I started there was no end. So far I made 2-Triple, 4-Double, 2- Single, 1-Outlet.
          I just came up with the method to do the outlets at like 10:30 last night, so I have a good amount more of them to do. Plus I need some more 1/4" cherry to finish up the rest of the needed plates.

Comment

• final_t
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003

Can't wait to see the end results, plus the jig. Definatly worth a writeup.

Comment

Working...