X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

I used to wear nothing, but since I tried one of those denim aprons, I love it. Clothes stay clean. For outdoor/handyman projects I tried 2 different toolbelts and found they are too heavy and just pull your pants down. A little canvas nail apron from home center is the best thing.

Todd

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I can't believe a member here hasn't posted that they just wear a BT thong.

Never had an apron, but have wondered about trying one. Do have a belt, but it is more carpentry, general remodeling type stuff. (too big and full for the shop)

Also considering something like either a photographers, or fisherman's vest.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• movnup
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • Seattle
        • BT3000

I'm an oxford type of guy so my old button downs, jeans, and sneaks / deck shoes. The upper pocket grabs the foam ear protectors, screws, small parts and I use a "croakie" e.g. foam string on my safety glasses so I can drop them on my chest and "let um' hang" out of my way. I used to set them down all over the place until I figured this one out (i have four pairs cuz of that) !!!

I also used to wash a lot of ear protecters until I put one of those mesh metal freebie paper clip holders on my bench and now at the end of the day I toss them in there. Air compressor blow off if I've really gone wild ...

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

I wear a vest.
          John Hunter

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I got a toolbelt with suspenders for outside work, but for the shop, I don't have anything special. Tape clips on a pant pocket, pencil in shirt pocket. Behind the ear would be cool, but it interferes with my eyewear and earmuffs. I probably should get some kind of apron, but if my toolbelt is any indication, I'll be carrying my entire clamp collection in that apron before I know it.

Comment

• Thom2
              Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              I can't believe a member here hasn't posted that they just wear a BT thong.
              I wondered how long it would take before this got mentioned

Aprons - I personally don't care for them, just don't like how they feel when you've gotta kneel, stoop, or bend over.
              Tool Belt - I'll use one for outside projects or "ladder work" but don't particularly care for them.
              Bib overalls - thought about these quite a bit, but I'd prefer something that I can take off before going into the house.

What about "Shop Coats" ... are these a thing of the past??? Does anybody wear one?

I've had this one from Daluth on my gift list for awhile now.

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
              **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A couple years ago I asked a similar question in this thread, except that I was curious as to what folks keep in the pockets of their aprons/belts/coats/etc. Some interesting answers in there, I think.

I'm still wearing the same old set of nail bags, contents unchanged apart from the addition of the remote for the dust collector. I generally have them on while milling up lumber, off while assembling and finishing.

In my shop, a shop coat like the one Thom linked to would be way too hot in the summer, but could provide some welcome warmth (as well as on-board storage) during the colder months.
                Last edited by LarryG; 09-17-2007, 08:03 AM.
                Larry

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Afrter having part of a saw blade tooth break off and imbed itself into my chest, I went out and purchased a rawhide Welders Apron from Northern Tool. Think the price was $25.00.

Now to do something about my face.

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Brian G
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                    • G0899

I wear a 5 pocket tool belt. I don't really keep a bunch of "stuff" in the pockets or hanging.

I try to keep good habits and routines, so stuff gets put back in the same pocket every time. I can't stand having to search for a pencil, the spring punch, eraser, etc. So, from memory and habit:

Left front: Spring punch, stubby flat and Philips screwdrivers, sawdust
                    Left inside: Piece of ratty cloth for wiping things, 6" steel rule, countersink
                    Utility knife pocket: Pittsburgh lockback utility knife
                    Right front: whatever misc. screws/nails/small tools I'm using during that session
                    Right inside: Small pliers, mechanical eraser, marking guage, Sharpie, hole guage
                    Screwdriver pockets: mechanical pencils
                    Hammer handle: I don't use it, usually.

Tape measure pocket: Uh, a tape measure.
                    Brian

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                      Afrter having part of a saw blade tooth break off and imbed itself into my chest, I went out and purchased a rawhide Welders Apron from Northern Tool. Think the price was $25.00.

Now to do something about my face.

Bruce
                      Ya really think theres any hope for that face, Bruce??

Comment

• messmaker
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2004
                        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                        • Ridgid 2424

I use a tool belt if I am doing ouside handyman stuff especially if it involves a ladder. I use an apron in the shop somtimes and a windshirt others. I usually wear a new shirt when I am applying finsh or that is what my wife claims.
                        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

Just clothes whail in the shop. I save the tool belt for home repair work. I made an apron with deer skin many years ago but rarely wear it since the pockets seem to just fill with sawdust. Tape measure clips to my pants pocket and I keep a fresh supply of sharp pencils so one is never too far from my grasp. The top of the rip fence on my BT3K is an almost perfect pencil holder.
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Sawduster
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

I've got an apron and sometimes think to put it on. Of course, then the next time I'm in the shop, I can't find anything that the pockets of the apron can hold because I forget to look in the apron pockets for stuff.
                            Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
                            ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

My normal shop clothing is a pocket t-shirt and either shorts or jeans depending on the season. In the pocket of the shirt goes a mechanical draftsman pencil, a sharpie, and a .5mm mechanical pencil plus a little machinists ruler. In my shop, the screwdrives or other little tools that I could carry are only a couple of steps away so I don't wear them. I try to put a drawer or something on each tool so that the stuff I need for that tool are right there. I clip a tape measure to my pants sometimes if I am measuring long stuff.

I have a couple tool belts but they are kind of bulky for walking around the shop. I'm not real wide but I don't need the pouches of a belt sticking out 6 inches on each side either. I also don't like it that the pockets fill up with sawdust. I like bib overalls but my wife thinks they look silly and it is often too hot for them around here. If I get to doing something where I need a handful of tools to complete, I may strap on my tool belt. Up a ladder would be a good usage for it.

Jim

Comment

• Alex Franke
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2007
                                • Chapel Hill, NC
                                • Ryobi BT3100

I voted "nothing," too. Though I must say it can be pretty embarrassing when I realize that I've left the garage door open while I'm working.

I wear a tool belt if I'm working on something like a house (H4H or my own), play structure, deck, etc. Never tried an apron -- not even for cooking, actually.
                                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...