• Show
Clear All
  • venkatbo
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Dust colleaction system reco

Hi all,

I'm setting up my workshop in a 10'x20' section of the garage... 'am looking to get a DC system. Will have the:
    . BT3k
    . 6" table-top jointer
    . 13" planer
    . Router
    . PSI midi lathe
    . CMT
    . 10" table top DP
    . Jigsaw/sander at the sawhorse/benchtop

What would you recommend in terms of a DC system (DC, piping, etc < $400 budget) that could be hooked upto these and located in one corner or moved from station to station. I have a leaf vac/blower system that may be useful for some minimal cleanup.

Thanks,
    /venakt
    Last edited by venkatbo; 03-05-2006, 12:38 PM.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Hf 2hp Dc

Venkat, I think you're an ideal candidate for the HF unit, plumbed with 4" pipe. It has enough poop for a small shop, for sure.

I found that moving a DC or shopvac from station to station just isn't workable, especially in a small shop. You're going to be moving your tools around for each project, meaning that eventuall there won't be a convenient path to the tool you want to hook up. So you'll just forego the DC for that cut and a couple of others on the project, eventually having dust all over.

$400 is a pretty tight budget to get all connected, but you could have a good start at it. $159, less 20%, for the DC. Definitely get the HF DC accessory kit, a few lengths of 4" S&D and you're in business.

Good Luck,
    JR
    JR

Comment

• venkatbo
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Originally posted by JR
      ... $400 is a pretty tight budget to get all connected, but you could have a good start at it. $159, less 20%, for the DC. Definitely get the HF DC accessory kit, a few lengths of 4" S&D and you're in business...
      Hi JR,

Thanks for that info.
      I was looking at HF's DC - item # 45378:
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...T%20COLLECTORS
      and it seemed to be ~$179... not $159 as you mentioned...
      1. Are they different ?
      2. Also, which is the DC accessory kit you were talking about.
      Checked the HF site, but couldn't figure which one it is.

Thanks much,
      /venkat

Comment

• monte
        Forum Windbag
        • Dec 2002
        • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
        • GI 50-185M

I'll go with JR'S idea. You might want to go with 4" S&D as well.
        Monte (another darksider)
        Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Hmm, the part no. for the accy kit is 47911, but it's not showing up in a search of the HF site. That's really too bad, it's one of their best values. Anybody have a special-sauce search to find it?

You've got the right part no. for the 2HP DC. I saw it in this week's flier for $159. Normally, the fliers can be found on the haborfreightusa site, but the site's not coming up right now. At any rate, you should be able to see the flier at the store.

JR
          JR

Comment

• just4funsies
            • Dec 2005
            • Florida.
            • BT3000

HF has their mini DC (1-hp) on sale for another week at $99 (less another 20% if you have a coup). It takes up very little space and can be put under a bench. Also has wheels. It pumps out 914-cfm, and has a 4" port connection. Might make sense with limited space and budget.
            ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

Working...