• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmacintyre
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006

Help with box joint jig

Hi,
    I came across this jig from the simple clamp cabinet post earlier today. I understand what he is doing, however, from what I read it seems is it better to cut both pieces of the joint together. If I wanted to do what steps should I take. I have tried a coulple times with no sucess. What I want is 1/4" "fingers" for the joint, so I off set the two pieces a 1/4" and then go ahead and make some passes following his techniques, I am being pretty careful however nothing seems to be lining up. Any suggestions?

http://woodworking.phruksawan.com/boxJointJig/

thanks,

Mike
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Mike,
    What he's doing is NOT really "Box Joints" but rather a series of notches to hold the clamps in his rather unique Clamp Rack (you can see it in another post).
    This sort of thing does not require anywhere near the accuracy that a true Box Joint does.

So all he's really doing is cutting a series of notches spaced to give him clearance between the Clamps.
    It is NOT truely a box joint Jig but rather a misnamed notch-making Jig, nothing more.

You should be able to find a real Box Joint Jig by searching this Forum or check some of the Magazine websites for a plan. Check out a Lynn's Jig, for one type of Box Joint Jig that's a little unusual and pretty accurate to boot. (Try using the "Google" search engine)

I have several Plans/Articles for Box Joint Jigs that I would be willing to share but the files are too large to down-load to this site.

If you send me an Email, I'll attach a couple of the better ones and return your Email to you.
    Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

IMHO there is no reason why the linked jig will not work. Set-up is the key to success. Keep in mind for box joints to work your fingers must be slightly smaller than the notch; only enough room for glue. With this type of jig I would not cut more than one piece at a time unless you are using a dado blade.

If you do not have a dado blade there are other ways to cut this joint. I do all my box joints on my router table using a shop made jig. http://www.blackwallnutjigs.com/boxjointjig.asp
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• mmacintyre
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the email George, the plans are great!

Comment

• gmack5
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

My pleasure, Mike.

Attaching them to your Email worked quite well and it was very easy to do.

Post a picture of your Jig when you get it completed, OK?
          Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
          Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
          George

Comment

Working...