• Show
Clear All
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Transport rack

The problem, getting four helos and a big flight box to/from the field in the back of a pick up truck while avoiding the afternoon pop-up thunder showers. The solution, put a cap on the truck and build a rack to secure the helos! Worked out pretty well and put a big dent in the scrap wood pile in the shop.

The rack is shown on the work bench because it shows up better for the pictures. The front upper rack removes and the lower tray slides out for easier access. The rack is sized to fit snug between the wheel wells and the front end/tail gate of the truck.
    Last edited by lrogers; 12-09-2008, 06:51 PM.
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by lrogers
    The problem, getting four helos and a big flight box to/from the field in the back of a pick up truck while avoiding the afternoon pop-up thunder showers. The solution, put a cap on the truck and build a rack to secure the helos! Worked out pretty well and put a big dent in the scrap wood pile in the shop.

The rack is shown on the work bench because it shows up better for the pictures. The front upper rack removes and the lower tray slides out for easier access. The rack is sized to fit snug between the wheel wells and the front end/tail gate of the truck.

Genius! Nice design. Probably didn't cost 1/20 of what a dropped bird would cost.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
      John Hunter

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Great idea, and it looks good, too!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

nice....I'd love to learn how to fly those
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Ingenious, and it looks nice too.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Larry

Very innovative. Just shows what extensive planning and design can do, and good craftsmanship.

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

Extensive planning and design????? I wish, but thank you all for the kind words! This is the first time I started a project with out a drawing or at least a sketch, just an idea rolling around in my head. I just "winged it" and let the final design "evolve". This thing had more design changes than a Pentagon defense project. The removeable top shelf came about when I discovered the scale helo was too high to pass under it! But, in the end it worked and worked well. Really made me think through some of the "engineering difficulties".
                The design is very adaptable and can be easily modified as the number/type of helos change. The whole thing is surprisenly light and is easy to remove from the truck, though it will spend most of the time in the truck (no place else to store it).

The next project will be a smaller, lighter flight support box that still has the room to carry everything the current beast carries.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Larry

Have you thought about maybe marketing something like that to the hobby?

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

No, never even gave it a thought. Every one would have to be custom made to fit the truck and I just don't think enough guys would be willing to pay a fair price to make it worth wild.
                    I posted it on several of the helo forums in hopes that it gives other pilots some ideas to solve their transport problems.

Besides, if I start building thses things, when would I have time to go fly?????
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

Nice idea. It also looks good.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

That is very neat and nicely executed. How many more aircraft could you fit on that?

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

No, never even gave it a thought. Every one would have to be custom made to fit the truck and I just don't think enough guys would be willing to pay a fair price to make it worth wild.
                          I posted it on several of the helo forums in hopes that it gives other pilots some ideas to solve their transport problems.

Besides, if I start building thses things, when would I have time to go fly?????

Larry

Hear me out on this. Don't poo poo the idea so quickly. You could make a rack that is adjustable both in width, length, and height by using hardware like this. If you think about the individuals involved with helos, they aren't cheap. Plus they all have the same problem in transporting. Could be a great part time gig. And, it's not like you are unfamiliar with the products involved or the interest groups.

Comment

• lrogers
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mobile, AL. USA.
                            • BT3000

Cgallery;
                            I think I could get at least 2 more of the larger helos and 3 or 4 of the smaller ones like the T-rex. That will not become an issue since I would be a dead man for even considering that many! for some strange reason, LOML doesn't share my love of the hobby. I do want to get one more helo, a larger one powered by a gasser (weedeater type) engine.

Cabinetman,
                            You really think there might be a market out there for such a rack? I might have to give this a re-think and see how I could make the design more adjustable and easier to prefab/build/disassemble for shipping.
                            Larry R. Rogers
                            The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Cabinetman,
                              You really think there might be a market out there for such a rack? I might have to give this a re-think and see how I could make the design more adjustable and easier to prefab/build/disassemble for shipping.

You needed one, and you like yours. If they aren't on the market yet, others in the hobby don't think about buying one, YET. You might think about a small ad in the hobby magazines or club newsletters. Since you already have your "sample", it should only take a little creative thinking on where to cut, put in some oblong holes, and add a "T" nut with a tightening knob.

Hey, give it some thought. We're all here to help you...on the forum of course.

Comment

Working...