• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Help! BT3 fence handle fix.....?

my handle has stripped from the fence. see pics below. how do i fix this?

thanks!

• Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Ouch.

Is there enough room on the handle shaft length to cut the bad threads off and still fit into and operate the fence mechanism?
    Erik

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • BT3100

from the looks of it, only two or 2.5 threads engage into the ball in the fence. with that much embedment, it seems like this is was bound to happen sooner or later. i wonder if others had the same issue?

the threads in the ball are also damaged, so even if i cut off the bad threads on the handle, what am i going to engage them into?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Just a thought, but you could probably cut enough of the plastic shoulder off on the handle to gain depth of insertion, and may be able to tap a heli-coil into the cam to fix those threads.

Comment

• Jcrawf
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2009

This looks like a job for J B Weld.

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

Bt3 handle fix?

If that were my handle and it stripped like that...I would first disassemble it and
            then try to repair it. I think the best thing to do is (1) clean up those external threads on the handle, (2) obtain a quality steel hex nut of the same thread size
            from a local hardware store (3) have the steel hex nut welded in place of the female thread adapter, (4) have the welded area ground and smoothed down
            so it looks like it would have been done at the factory (5) re-install the handle into the new hex nut and call the job done. If you don't have an electric welder,
            a local welding shop could do this for a nominal, small fee. Hope this helps...
            eezlock

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • BT3100

JB weld wont do it. the force that you apply each time to lock the fence is too big.

UC i will look into the helicoil, not familiar with it, so i will search and see what i come up with.

all of you with a BT3:
              1. how many threads on that handle are engaged into your fence?
              2. do you use a lot of force to crank the handle down or does it just a little force? it feels like i had to put more force on it than i though i should be.....

Comment

• Brian G
                • Jun 2003
                • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                • G0899

This may be one of those instances where it's simpler and more effective to order the parts (www.m-and-d.com) and not futz around with repairs, even though the suggestions for repair are good ones.

M-and-D.com lists the eccentric roller (item #19 on the rip fence assembly diagram in your manual; part #969146003 at m-and-d.com) for $4.57. The locking handle (item #20; part #0181010227 at m-and-d.com) lists for $3.75.

I've ordered replacement parts from M-and-D.com, with no problems. Be aware that they do charge an extra $4.00 for orders under $25.

Judging by the parts diagram, and by looking at my rip fence, it looks like you can drive out the pin (item #23) that holds the eccentric roller in place. There is what's called a rubber plug (item #21) embedded in the eccentric roller, so make sure you keep the plug, or order a new one for $0.75 (part #623019004).
                Brian

Comment

• phi1l
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Madison, WI

It sort of looks to me like handle might have been cross threaded during assembly. But, you are probably out of the warranty period, I know if it happened to me it would be

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

You will need the ball and handle replacement, or you can cut down the threads on the handle, and put a helicoil in the ball. To be honest, I would replace the bad pieces. M and D mower should have them...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                      JB weld wont do it. the force that you apply each time to lock the fence is too big.

UC i will look into the helicoil, not familiar with it, so i will search and see what i come up with.

all of you with a BT3:
                      1. how many threads on that handle are engaged into your fence?
                      2. do you use a lot of force to crank the handle down or does it just a little force? it feels like i had to put more force on it than i though i should be.....
                      I had to swap the parts over from one head piece to another a couple of months. So I have been in there recently. I didn't count the threads that were engaged, but as I recall the pin goes through the center of the threaded section. I think it was about 1/2" of threads that are engaged. Basically the idea was to thread the handle in until it bottomed out on the pin, keeping the pin from sliding side to side.

My fence locks down tightly with about as much force as say the lock down levers for the SMT, which isn't a lot.

For some reason it looks like yours got badly cross threaded. The question is how, unless someone has been in there attempting to repair the fence for one reason or another..

I am not certain about the ball, but pretty sure, and I am certain that the handle is available at M&D. My handle is distorted due to heat, and needs to be replaced.... But it works, and is only cosmetic...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • BT3100

thanks brian and guys for the suggestions. i will order the parts today from them.......

dbhost, once i get the new parts, i think its time for me to set up the fence properly and make sure things are not binding, etc...

Comment

• brubakes
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2009
                          • Medina, OH
                          • Sears 315.228110

I've been having the same issue with my table saw. Let us know when you get the parts and if they were everything needed.

Comment

• skimann20

Mine just did this two weeks ago. arghhh. I was thinking about cutting off the bad thread and seeing how that goes... Let me know how your fix goes. maybe I'll just go that way.

Comment

Working...