X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • envarch
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2009

I was looking for a dado blade for my BTS21 to cut 9/32 slots for Youngdale knife hinges. Youngdale sells a specialty 9/32 dado but is fairly expensive. Since I only needed to make a dozen cuts, their customer service recommended using four 6 1/2" plywood blades. HD had a closeout box of them for $4/each. Fortunately I already had received the dado slot insert I ordered from Ryobi. I made a temp jig for the cabinet door slots and the 6 1/2 blades made perfect 9/32" slots. When putting the blades on, you need to make sure each each set of teeth off-sets are progressively rotated so the blades fit tight against one another.

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
      • Dec 2002
      • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by PhilofKayDu
      The former owner of my BT3K admitted to me. He used 2- 7 1/4" blades with a 1/2" spacer in between them to cut 1/2" strips in quicker time. Of course he used a ZCTP. Phil
      That could also make a good tenon-cutting setup, with a variety of spacers for tenons of different thicknesses.
      ==========
      ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
      Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by PhilofKayDu
        The former owner of my BT3K admitted to me. He used 2- 7 1/4" blades with a 1/2" spacer in between them to cut 1/2" strips in quicker time. Of course he used a ZCTP. Phil
        I can see this working if you don't cut all the way through the stock but if you do watch out you get a potential Length of stock x 1/2inch wide spear.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the 1/2 strips will be a bit thinner because both carbide and HSS blades are slightly thinner on the body (where the spacer goes) than the thickness at the tips where, expecially the carbide tips) the blades are thicker. This is at least partly to prevent a lot of friction from the blade body rubbing on the sides of the kerf.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• DustyandLefty
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006
            • Almost West Virginia
            • BT3000 w/ side and rear tables on wheels, BT3100 portable spare, old Delta contractor's

zero clearance insert tool

I've also used a 7 1/4 blade on my table saw to make zero clearance plates. My 10" blade was a hair too tall to crank down completely below the zero clearance blank before starting up the saw. Switching to the smaller blade allowed me to slowly bring the blade up through the blank to cut the kerf. I slid the fence 1/3 of the way over the top of the blank to keep it in place during the cut.

Dusty and Lefty

Comment

Working...