• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Norm in Fujino
    but it might be a good idea to go ahead and epoxy my handle solid (not sure where I can get bb's here in Japan, tho).
    I don't know what sort of fishing you've got there but split shot weights might work instead.
    Erik

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
      • Dec 2002
      • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
      I don't know what sort of fishing you've got there but split shot weights might work instead.
      We're on the same wavelength; I thought about using lead split-shot as well. I know it--or something like it--is available here.
      ==========
      ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
      Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

We can't get lead anymore here, it's ben replaced with tin.
        Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

If they do any hunting in Japan, shotgun shells could be an easy source for the pellets you need. I would suggest birdshot, depending on gauge they can be pretty small.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
            • Dec 2002
            • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by chopnhack
            If they do any hunting in Japan, shotgun shells could be an easy source for the pellets you need. I would suggest birdshot, depending on gauge they can be pretty small.
            Some people do hunt here (we have hunters in my town who go after the wild pigs and deer who wander into farmland), but guns and ammo are controlled more strictly than serious narcotics (one reason for the low murder rate). Buying or possessing them requires a heavy police check, licensing, etc. And if you miss your renewal date, they confiscate the gun, no questions asked. You can't just walk into the local Walmart and ask for shotgun shells . Most Japanese have never even seen a real firearm in the flesh.

But I as I noted, there should be other options, like lead split shot. In fact, there are quite a few "model gun" shots that handle airguns of one sort or another, possibly bb's as well, although I'm not sure about the legal restrictions on metal pellets.
            ==========
            ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
            Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • SoCal, USA
              • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I did have to repair mine. Wanted a metal one but too late for that. Should have bought one years ago. Lead might be found at your dentist as the film has foil in it or at a glass supplier as they have scrap. I did not do that as adding weight without strength seems to have more issues stressing plastic to me.

Really wanted the metal CM version , hoping the newer one might fit, as the adapter for the BT3000/sears version is not being made. My plastic gave out after about 5 years,limited use, fractured at the hub. I used super glue gel with a Visegrip to squeeze the parts /clamp. I do not care about sliding with the cam for the tilt , as they designed , you can still tilt with the wheel fixed by applying side pressue. Added a EMT 1", cut in 1/2, coupling metal sleeve, w. epoxy around the stem[repaired area]., used the screw as a set screw, washers at saw side and another fender type over the handle as a sandwich, having longer flat head screw now extending to the front over the washer. I used dental denture acrylic resin[ethyl methacrylate] as that will bond better than epoxy to the plastic and add strength , to the rear.

So cheap of Ryobi not to make the handle metal, renders the saw useless if broken. Overall I am sorry I bought this saw as it is simply not well made in many aspects that are critical. I have done more maintenance, fixes , add-ons[than you Norm, for the shim fix, did that early on, so far so good], on this tool than any other I have owned, and with parts now becoming scarce, will not be long before it is dead in the water if something I can not work around breaks. I have a Unisaw, and 22124 hybrid, as this is jobsite saw/portable router station for me now. Could have been a great saw if they would have improved it some.
              Andrew

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

I'm surprised the plastic wheels are breaking for you guys.

How do they break? Is something hitting them or getting dropped on them, or do they just break while being spun?

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by Norm in Fujino
                  ...not sure where I can get bb's here in Japan...
                  Raid your local Pachinko Palace?
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

No, that's not gambling, I really wanted those ratty stuffed animals!

Are the BBs serving any structural/aesthetic purpose? I thought they were just there to reduce the amount of epoxy needed? If that's the case and you're in an area where they're not readily available maybe just spend a few extra $$ to use all epoxy?

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Kristofor
                      No, that's not gambling, I really wanted those ratty stuffed animals!

Are the BBs serving any structural/aesthetic purpose? I thought they were just there to reduce the amount of epoxy needed? If that's the case and you're in an area where they're not readily available maybe just spend a few extra $$ to use all epoxy?
                      I would think the BBs are to add mass / weight, the epoxy is used to hold it all together.
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...