• Show
Clear All
  • Caddis295
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2004
    • Williamson, GA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Hitachi 13" Planer w/stand

Picked up a nice deal today while at Lowes, new in the box Hitachi P13F 13" Planer with stand for $200 bucks! It would appear that they are closing this model out. Could not pass it up! Any info on this model?
    Dino "Woodbin Pirate" Gutierrez
    "The greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising up every time we fall.”
  • tsbrewers
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the reviews have been great. I think I would try to find out as much as you can before you open/use it. This is just from my memory, which isn't very good anymore.

Brew

Comment

• jlake1998
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006
      • Washington
      • BT3100

I have a hitachi router which i really like and would not mined seting myself up with this planer. Seems theres little information available from any users. whats holding me back at this point is i cant find a set of new replacement blades.

Comment

• aluminumfury
        Forum Newbie
        • Sep 2006

I picked up one of these last summer.They were blowing them out at Lowes for $150.I offered $120 and they said Yes.
        After I got it home,I saw the reviews,but decided to give it a chance,and it has been a really nice planer.
        I have put a bunch of old oak moulding through it.I use the handheld planer to break the old varnish,and then multiple passes through the planer to thin it out to make thresholds for the doorways of my house.
        I have also dimensioned 2 bundles of select oak flooring for the rails and stiles of some cabinet doors i have been making.
        I'm still on the first set of edges.

I haven't had any feeding problems,or anything to complain about at all.It has a good head lock and I don't notice much snipe.
        I did buy the dust hood online,and my Lowes stocks the blades.

Long term,I'm not sure what to expect,it seems like Dewalt and Delta get all the love but if it lasts through a few more projects,I figure it will have paid for itself.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

One of the mags did a review a year or so ago that included the Hitachi. IIRC, the comments about performance were fairly favorable, but I think it got knocked for the difficulty of blade changes relative to others. For $150 off, I'd spend a few more minutes a year changing the blades with no complaints! Good luck!
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• thallikar
            Established Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Dustmight
            One of the mags did a review a year or so ago that included the Hitachi. IIRC, the comments about performance were fairly favorable, but I think it got knocked for the difficulty of blade changes relative to others. For $150 off, I'd spend a few more minutes a year changing the blades with no complaints! Good luck!
            I got one for 135$ last summer in their lowes summer clearance sidewalk sale. Well, it is still sitting new in a box. one more person bought at the same time on this or woodnet forum and said that it was a very good planer.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
              • Dec 2006
              • hagerstown, md

****.....my lowes never had them
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

Comment

Working...