• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

weird things I saw w/ Woodcraft

I stopped by the green temple on a recent trip to the Front Range ---- picked up a copy of Woodcraft Magazine, and a few other supplies.

a) My magazine had a huge ad from Grizzly ---- which seemed a little odd for a magazine that is printed for a specific company.

b) Sales person told me they dropped Triton Routers (drat).

c) Inventory is nothing like it has been in the past.

My hunch is that WC is getting a lot of pressure from discount retailers. My guess is there's not a lot of money to be made with equipment/power-tools --- and that WC is better off when they develop niches with smaller scale stuff.

The shop I visited has developed a niche by focusing its marketing at female woodworkers. They also focused a lot on turning (I have a ShopSmith in my shop - but don't use the lathe much), sell a lot of clock parts.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was a Rockler guy when I lived in CA and had one a few miles away. Now in MD, WC is the closest thing around (other than the Borg) and my go-to when I have an immediate WWIng need--other than lumber.

Our WC is actually called The Woodworkers Club which happens to sell WC stuff. They actually moved to a bigger, more prominent location about 1/2 mile from their original location. Both spots have a large workshop in the back where members can pay for shop time. I always see people back there. Ours also host several workshops taught by well known WWing people. I think the classes are expensive especially compared to what I used to pay in tuition at Palomar College for WWing classes, but they've always got classes going so people must be going.

Our WC also hosts the local turning club once a month. I went to one meeting last year and about 1/4 of the people there were women. They do have a pretty big turning section.

When I started WWing, WC was always said to be overpriced, but I haven't found that to be true. At least on the big ticket items I've bought there (Rikon lathe and Earlex Spraystation), they've been competitive with places like Amazon. They used to push SawStop a lot but I don't see as much of that anymore.

For about 3 years now, there's been a female store manager, Amy, who has been there nearly every time I've been there. The mostly retirement age staff turn to her for help frequently and she deals with customers with aplomb. She's also flirty so I've also developed a bit of a crush. My wife actually picked up a bench grinder I ordered online from the store for me, and Amy assisted her. When I unloaded it from the car, my wife said, "Amy, huh?" She knows me too well.

I can't say I've been too observant about what they are/aren't promoting anymore, but the one thing that stands out to me in their flyers are the Made in the USA identifiers. It works on me and I appreciate that they include this now.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I visited a Woodcraft in the Atl area this weekend, 1st time at this location since they moved. Nice store, great help but I was disapointed in the inventory. I had been in a nearby Rockler a couple of months previously that had a really good inventory. Luckily I was able to catch Highland Woodworking on the way back home. What a store! plenty of inventory, great help and the old time hardware store charm in the middle of a super thriving neighborhood. Businesses like Woodcraft seem to be slow to learn that in order to beat the internet sales they must have the merchandise their loyal walk in traffic want. Prices seem to be about the same at all ww stores and those of us who want to touch it before we buy it do not want to have to drive all over town to search for it.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I think a lot of the woodworking retailers are moving to "just in time" inventory models. I.E. ship to store ordering from the websites, to avoid having to have so much $$ laid out in expensive machinery that may or may not sell. They can then concentrate on stocking faster moving, but lower margin smaller items.

I do think it odd that Woodcraft would advertise for Grizzly though...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Rockler's headquarters is only a few miles west of me, so Rockler is big here. They seem to be doing OK - they doubled the size of the store closest to me a few years back, and moved to a new bigger store elsewhere in the metro also. They seem to be getting a little better value on some things lately, especially when it's on sale. I do wish they'd just go to a model where they had things at a good price all the time, so you didn't have to wait for a sale or coupon.

I haven't looked at Home Depot's tool selection in a long time (years) until the other day, and was a little shocked. What happened to all the Ridgid tools? The selection they had was terrible, and although they did still have the table saw and oscillating belt/spindle sander, there was no display model for those, and the table saw was the only non-bench tool there. Even their selection of routers was bad. Menards, on the other hand, has a whole section of floor-standing tools (many of them cheapish crap, but at least it's available)

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I guess it is my fault! Home Depot started reducing their Rigid line of tools after I made the decision to change over all my 14v Dewalt to Rigid battery powered tools. If I had known that I was going to have to order their tools on line I would not have made that decision, lifetime warranty or not.

I won't make a comment on Woodcrafts corporate direction because I never figured that a large coffee store would make it long either.
            capcarl

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011

I thought the 2 page Grizzly ad in the WC Magazine (owned and published by WC) was downright odd --- but there it is --- right in the front of the magazine.

Comment

• Cubsfan
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • CO.

Which Woodcraft was this? Denver or Loveland?

Comment

• Charlie R
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2007

Rockler's off my shopping list. No response to emails - two to one address and one to another requesting information. Maybe you can let them know.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

One thing that impressed me at Woodcraft in Atl was the knowledgable staff. Their resident expert Festool staff gave me a great demonstration of their track saw. Some of the recent chatter on this site about the track saw didn't make a lot of sense to me, especially about being able to replace the table saw. Now that I have seen the table attachment I now understand. Another point for Woodcraft.
                    capncarl

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011

Woodcraft has ALWAYS treated me well.

I have no druthers buying from them, and have no complaints about service.

This particular time, I went to the shop in Northern Colorado. I've been to the bigger shop in Centennial, as well.

I left a coupon at home ---- and they honored it, anyway.

My purchase wasn't really big ($50) - but they helped me out a lot.

Comment

• Cubsfan
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • CO.

That one and the one in Denver were recently (2 years ago?) purchased by a fellow named Wayne. He's been trying some interesting stuff with the store, which I like. He's greatly increased the amount of wood that they carry and has gotten in some unique shipments (old flooring from Africa, etc...)

All-in-all, it's my go-to store for tools. There's another in town (Sears Trostel) that I prefer for wood, but hands down I like woodcraft more for tools and supplies.

Comment

• lrr
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Fort Collins, Colorado
                          • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by durango dude
                          I thought the 2 page Grizzly ad in the WC Magazine (owned and published by WC) was downright odd --- but there it is --- right in the front of the magazine.
                          Weird, version 2:

I subscribe to Birds and Blooms, and they have a page of Harbor Freight coupons in each issue. I guess free multimeters and LED flashlights are popular with birders/gardeners too.
                          Lee

Comment

Working...