• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

My first I owned it, not my Dad's, or borrowed saw was my Ryobi BTS-21. I wanted a BT3100 that I had previously seen at Home Depot, and was told it was the update to it. Foolish me fell for it. Having learned a great deal since that time, I found a fairly well used BT3100 from a fellow member here. I have been fixing it up and using the snot out of the poor thing since. As I go along I have been collecting spare parts for the saw. before they become unavailable I do need to pick up some spare belts...

I eventually want a SawStop 3HP PCS with 50" fence... However that is a bunch of money I don't have at this point...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bob0244
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2013

using BT3000

My first TS was a Shopsmith MK500. I still have it using mostly as vertical drill-press and lathe.
      I got the BT as B-day present from my wife who had seen me ogling the BT in a store. This was in the early 2000s and it is still going strong.
      I had some problems last month when the motor bracket elevation thread stripped, but thanks to this Forum, it got fixed in no time.
      I am and have always been satisfied with it and my short term wishlist includes the Leeway Riving Knife. I`m just waiting a bit to get my the finances back on track after the holidays spending extravaganza.
      It will come soon!

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Well - I just kissed my BT3000 goodbye.

It was my first table saw.

I appreciate the fact it made woodworking accessible to me.

Believe it or not - I used the proceeds from my BT to purchase a 50 yr old Sears Cabinet saw.

Looking around my garage - there's a lot of Craftsman equipment sitting around - mostly older stuff.

I have
        - Craftsman cabinet saw
        - Craftsman 12" band saw (2 wheel version - not 3 wheel)
        - Craftsman scroll saw (will likely sell soon --- rarely use it)
        - Craftsman circular saw
        - Craftsman router (fixed base)
        - Craftsman palm sander

Plus - I have the usual assortment of Craftsman wrenches/screwdrivers/tools.

I didn't really plan it that way. Unfortunately, with the analysts predicting the eventual demise of Sears ---- I don't expect to be picking up any more Craftsman equipment (Maybe a tool chest - but that's about it)

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii
          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I have an old BT3000 and a Sears clone. I put the 218290 on the old BT cabinet and put the BT3 on the folding stand. Reason for this is the 218290 has longer fence rails so it's my stay @ home saw and the BT3 became my job site saw. I've been using the BT3 all week cutting oak flooring, had to repair my rental, termites love oak flooring. Used a Tenryu 24 T rip blade, cuts through the oak like butter. Finished the job and brought the BT3 home this afternoon.

Comment

• lrr
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Fort Collins, Colorado
            • Ryobi BT-3100

Many of the older Craftsman tools are pretty good. I still have my "commercial" router from the 70s. It just feels good in your hands -- well balanced, not too heavy, the well placed trigger switch pulls a wire that controls the electrical switch in the body. It is only 1/4" but I seldom use 1/2" bits in a handheld, reserving those for router table use. (My router table has a Ridgid 2HP router. The switch is on top of the router. When I put it into its plunge base and use it handheld, it is quite awkward to turn it on and off. Hold it with one hand and turn it off with the other -- totally stupid design. And not particularly stable, and therefore not as safe as if the trigger were in the handle. I just don't believe how inferior some newer tools are, in terms of ergonomics.

I also still have my first major power tool -- a Craftsman radial arm saw. Bought it new in 1976. Put a melamine large top on it a few years ago, and I periodically align it since it sometimes gets bumped or moved. Kept aligned, it is precise and my "go-to" saw for crosscuts. The BT3100 is only used for ripping.

Sadly, I hardly ever go to Sears anymore for any tools. Most of their tools just seem so cheaply made anymore. I've got my share of Makita, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, and Milwaukee, but I've just started making the move to Festool for handheld power tools, if they make it.
            Lee

Comment

• 4estgump
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
              • Ryobi BT3000

Bought my 3000 in 1997. Used it to build my home that i still live in. Still use the same saw today.
              4est

Comment

• inkslinger
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2014

My first time here , Must say lot's of info . I never use any tools before, I have always live in Apt. an no needs for any tools.
                Just bought a brand new house so I have been buying tools new and used, My wife uncle just sold me his BT3000 and a PORTER-CABLE Framing Gun. The gun will be used this summer but been using the BT3000 and for a first timer it works great it gives me perfect cuts all the time , my wife's uncle took good care of it and it came with it's own stand {cabinet} He got a divorce and didn't have room to store all his tools, Waiting on his Miter Saw when he gives it up.

Comment

• stoli
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tucson, AZ.

Just unloaded my pimped out BT3K that I had been using since 2000 to make space for a Sawstop. Still have a spare BT3K that I was using for dados -- I have to figure out if I want to purchase an extra sawstop brake cartridge, throat plates, and new (8") dado, or stick with the old saw.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Seems my time/interest for woodworking ebbs and flows over the years. I'm currently in one of the "flow" periods. I'm currently making a few instruments based on the plans at harpkit.com - I just recently finished their thumb piano, and now am in the middle of their "autochord" build (an autoharp). Both of these are scratch built using their hardware kits (but not their pre-cut wood kits).

My time on this forum tends to ebb and flow along with my woodworking hobby. Looks like my last post here prior to this one was from 2009 - yikes! Good to be back and see a lot of familiar names still around.

As for the original topic - yes I still own and use my BT3100 and have no plans to upgrade/replace at this time. It's still cutting as accurately as ever, and I love it. With the addition of the Shark Guard and an overhead dust hose holder made out of a spring-arm cannibalized off of a desk lamp, it works simply awesome, with very little sawdust. Not sure how people actually use this saw with out the Shark My most recent tool purchase was a second-hand Ridgid jointer I picked up for a great price last fall, and it's in awesome condition. Replaces my Craftsman bench jointer which was a cast-iron beast that worked well for its size but just needed to be longer to do what I wanted with it.

Funny thing is, when I was new to the WW hobby and this forum about 10 years ago, I made some furniture for our then-expected baby, including a changing table and eventually a junior bed. Now "baby" is nearly 10, and has been joined by baby #2 who is nearly 7, and I'll be making bunk beds based on the same plans (I scaled them down for the junior bed) later this spring. Not sure what I'll do with the junior bed as I'm rather proud of it - maybe I'll store it in the attic for the grandkids some day. The changing table was built so that it could "someday" be used as a standard chest-of-drawers/storage unit, a function that it has kept up for a number of years now.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble - it's good to be back.

-Tim

Comment

• fastfoodkills
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2008
                      • Saugus, CA
                      • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

I purchased the BT3000 back in 2000 while studying Product Design at the Art Center in Pasadena. What prompted me was the long lines to gain access to the model shop's Unisaw and endless deadlines for projects while working full time. I set it up in an enclosed patio in a house I rented in the hills of Eagle Rock, L.A. area and used at all hours of the night without the neighbors getting upset. It really saved my grades and forced me to learn new skills. I used it for another 8 years and eventually upgraded to a Steel City cast-iron top saw that was on liquidation which I learned about through the bargain alerts forum. The BT3 saw and the extension rails now belongs to my brother in law. So long as it wasn't bumped it held the adjustments. I think I replace the plastic guides once to tighten things up and apart from that it required minimal adjustments and messing with. Sometimes I do miss the sliding miter table, which was very precise but appreciate the capacity and solid table and miter slots of the Steel City. Eventually I may upgrade to an aftermarket sliding table add-on such as as the Grizzly but space is at a premium a the moment. The inexpensive and reliable BT3 and this forum really took my abilities and interest in woodworking to new levels which I will always be grateful for.

Comment

Working...