• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Hand Planes

A co-worker sold me a hand full of hand planes for cheap. ($25)

Included are:

Stanley #4
    Stanley # 220
    Miller Falls block plane

Both say "made in USA" (I'm thrilled!). Both have wood handles and forward knobs.

Question is - what's the best use?

After a little playing around, I concluded the #220 is useful for taking sharp edges away from freshly cut wood (a problem I encounter enough to want to avoid it).

The #4 feels huge - and I haven't really figured out how it might compliment my current tool collection.

The Miller Falls is about the same size as the 220 --- and I'm unlikely to use it much (doesn't adjust all that well - whereas the 220 is easily adjusted).
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

The No. 4 isn't all that big, sit it next to a 24" long No 8 and you'll see the difference.
    Sounds like you got a fairly decent deal. Generally a 9" plane like your No 4 is considered a smoothing plane. If you set it up right, you should be able to do away with a lot of sanding. Your No 4 could be used on a shooting board too. I like using a heavier plane for shooting though.

Check out Patrick Leach's Blood and Gore: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
    Erik

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

My block plane and #4 are the most used planes in my small-ish arsenal.

I use the block plane all the time for everything. As you suggeested, it's very usefull for knocking down sharp edges. With very little practice you can actually create little roundovers with it. You will also find it's very helpful for end-grain smoothing.

I use my no.4 for smoothing. It's an ugly beast, but can be set to make those transluscent shavings the experts talk about.

Most all my planes were purchased at garage sales or from Craigslist. some of them don't work well, some of them haven't been tune up yet, some are suitable for parts only. It pays to be patient bringing them along.

Spend time earning how to sharpen and tune them. That's where the payoff is.

Nice deal for 25 bucks!

JR
      JR

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I had to stifle an outburst of laughter. If you think a #4 is huge, wait till you lay your hands on a #7 or #8 jointer plane!

The #4 is also known as a smoother, and is generally used for prep work prior to finishing, not quite for dimensioning.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by durango dude
          Included are:

Stanley #4
          Stanley # 220
          Miller Falls block plane

Both say "made in USA" (I'm thrilled!). Both have wood handles and forward knobs.

Question is - what's the best use?
          Neither of those Stanleys have any practical use whatsoever. Mail them both to me for proper disposal....
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I just saw this article in an American Woodworker email I just got:
            http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...=AWNL_20120119

The photo of them lined up reminded me of durango dude's post. The No 4 is near the top.

Some quick info in there too.
            Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Sounds like a great deal....luv to see some pics!
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...