• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Yesterday I posted with what I thought would be the closing comments on our French horn acquisition, but it didn't quite end there. I played the baritone horn all thru middle and high school, and pretty much walked away from it when I graduated 32 years ago. I actually played it fairly well as evidenced by a string of level 6A+ solos, all county, and all state concert band. My horn belonged to the school, and I really had little interest in pursuing it much after that as a young man, so it just never made any sense to buy one, and I haven't played since.

Well, 30+ years later, I thoroughly enjoyed the search for my daughter's horn, and enjoyed the whole "tune up" process even more....cleaning, tuning, playing, etc. Even though I never played the French horn, I'm able to blat out a few notes, and it definitely triggered a long lost desire to play again. Today I bought myself an older Holton baritone horn on Ebay for ~ $175. The lacquer is scuffed up pretty good, but the tubing itself all looks to be in great shape, so not only did I get myself a new horn, but got a pretty nice deal on a very well regarded brand. Anyone know of any French horn/baritone horn duets?

Kind of a father/daughter - his 'n hers sort of thing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bhorn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	785250
    Last edited by Knottscott; 04-29-2010, 04:23 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...