• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I gotta give props to a grocery chain hereabouts:

This is gonna sound like a commercial, but it's not. These people have earned their praise, and I am suddenly inspired to talk them up here.

In this day and age, it's always good when a business goes about it the right way... In this part of the country, Publix Markets does exactly that. Their stores are big, roomy, clean and brightly lit. The carts are not left all over the parking lot. The shelves are well stocked. Pricing is competitive with other chains, and a sale is a sale (they don't jack up the price on something before they give you 2-for-1, like most other stores around here do). They don't re-label the meat when the expiration date arrives. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. They give jobs to disadvantaged, physically/mentally challenged and retired folks, and they promote from their own ranks (many of their store management folks have worked there for half their lives or more). Their store brand products are, across the board, as good if not better than the expensive national brands. There are lots of stores, and there's never one far away.

All that is enough to earn my business, but sometimes they go a step further. We have had occasion to ask a manager about a product that they were temporarily out of, and they have offered to get the product from another store and have a clerk drop it off at our house on his way home! After the hurricanes in '04, I stopped in at one of my local Publix's to get about $150 worth of canned food to donate to a local food drive, and the manager (who was bagging groceries) commented that it looked like I was "stocking up". When I told him where the food was going, he cut the price in half on the spot...

Just this morning, LOML and I were doing our weekly shopping, and we asked if a certain type of mashed potatoes we like had come in. The manager on duty went to the cooler and crawled around, apologized profusely that the Christmas feasting had run them out, and vowed to find some for us, which he did, at another Publix up the road. It was in our hands before we were done shopping. We were looking at produce, and a produce clerk said "I just got some fresh beans in this morning that are 2 days fresher than what you are looking at in the display. Let me go in the back and pack some up for you..." We noticed they had put some frozen turkeys on sale for clearance, and since we eat them year-round, we grabbed a couple for the freezer. The register had not been programmed with the sale price however, so they corrected the price on one turkey and gave us the other one for free (another company policy for pricing errors). Then on top of that, they honored a $10 off coupon from a competing store (another company policy).

The moral is that nowadays a business doesn't have to cut corners to be successful. They just have to leave their customers with no possible reason to go elsewhere. Publix does it right. They are so head-and-shoulders above anything else we have around here, that I absolutely hate to shop anywhere else, and I like that I can actually compliment, rather than complain.

Will now return control of your computer screen to you...
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

My wife works for that co. Its owned by the employees and a corporate mgt. team. They give their employees stock(not publicly traded) quarterly bonus(based on performance) and decent health care benefits,but they do not promote women at an advanced rate to male counterparts. I know that sounds prejudicial as my wife works for them but they have been sued in the past for the same thing and they just haven,t learned anything from it.Here in Atl, They always have a can-a-thon and we donate weekly. They are a great co. other than that fact with the promoting.

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I lived in Florida once upon a time and travel there about once a year to see great niece and nephew. We end up making at least two trips to one of the gazillion Publix markets that are nearby and the stores are always clean and well-stocked. LOML buys stuff for her backpacking trips that we can't get in California.

Competitor Winn Dixie was in bankruptcy at one point and I forget whether they're still in business.

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

My sil's daughter works at

one of the stores here in central Fl. When she graduated from high school, she took a job at the store in Haines City; and that was about 30 years ago. Only job she ever had! They've got a new store up on 27 just a short distance from us and we shop there most times. And you're right about their policy, they go out of their way to help the customer. What I like the most about Publix is their steaks! Good price and some of the best beef around.

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

They finally came to Alabama a few years ago. Only real complaints I've had with the store closest to my house is that I sometimes have to watch the expiry dates on some things, and make sure the canned goods aren't dented. Other than that, very good store. A little more expensive than Wally World, but still a pretty good value overall. Plus, SWMBO prefers them.

BTW: I do all the grocery shopping and cooking. Makes things a LOT easier at my house.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by jackellis
            Competitor Winn Dixie was in bankruptcy at one point and I forget whether they're still in business.
            They are (bankruptcy discharged), but there's no comparison on any front. They're just awful...

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Living in NY, I've only gone to Publix a dozen times or so over the years when traveling. I always found them to be exceptional and was wondering if it was just anecdotal or across the board. Now I know, thanks!
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I see them in SC but no stores in NC. I wish they'd expand here, I've heard good things about that chain.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jaybee
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Regina, SK, Canada
                  • BT3100-1

The last time we were in Florida, we actually breathed a sigh of relief when we found Publix. Every place up until then just felt dingy.

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

The just opened a couple stores here in Chattanooga a couple years ago and I'll agree with everything UC said.
                    Richard
                    Richard

Comment

• DaveSur
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Ooltewah, TN

I'm surprised nobody said anything about their deli subs. Best sub sandwiches around, especially with the multi-grain bread.
                      We moved up to the Chattanooga area from Wellington, FL and Publix is about the only thing we missed about Florida. They just recently opened a new Publix a couple of miles down the road from is and we couldn't be happier about it.

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

Yup, Your right about the subs Dave, The Cubans are just like I used to get anywhere in Tampa, We just heat up a cast iron skillet to med heat and put that sucker in and put another smaller pan on top to make a press like they do in Tampa and taste just like a homemade fresh cuban sandwich from there.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by tommyt654
                          Yup, Your right about the subs Dave, The Cubans are just like I used to get anywhere in Tampa, We just heat up a cast iron skillet to med heat and put that sucker in and put another smaller pan on top to make a press like they do in Tampa and taste just like a homemade fresh cuban sandwich from there.
                          I love this... I've got 2 skillets in my cookware collection that fit together perfectly, and I use them just for toasting Cuban sandwiches and frying bacon (one of them is beautifully seasoned on the bottom). Plus I have a couple more CI skillets I use for all sorts of other cooking...

And yes, I also like the sandwiches from the Publix Deli. They just pile the goodies on them there... I like to get banana peppers on my Cuban sandwiches, for an added twist.

Comment

• tommyt654
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2008

Yum, Me like Banana Pepper idea, Will try that, Thanks Cracker

Comment

• 9johnny5
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Orange Park, FL
                              • BT3100

Daughters

two of my three daughters work for Publix markets here in FL. They really take customer service seriously, and they thank you guys for all the compliments.

And I agree...Publix subs are the BEST! Esp when you can have any meat or cheese currently stocked from the Deli (Boar's Head included) sliced and used for the sandwich at no extra cost. Gotta love that!

Johnny C.
                              not exactly Norm...al

Comment

Working...