• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Things Are Looking Up

One of my in-laws' neighbors doesn't know enough to secure their wireless connection. I don't have to go out to the coffee shop any more.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Before you leave be sure to leave a nice Christmas card on their printer. Just sign it Santa. Should freak them out.

Bill

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Good for you!
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I guess I'm lucky I don't have wireless. Everyone around here would be using it.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Not to poke a hole in your baloon, bu that is a two way street, right? Either they are really dumb or they are really smart and are stealing your information every time you use their connection.
          Even if they aren't, I believe it's posssible for anyone else using the connection to glom your info also.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Even with a secured wireless network connection, its been shown that it can be broken fairly easily in four minutes (can be done in less though). So with something like a packet sniffer, etc. they can still get enough to play back to your pc.

On the other side, my brother was setting up my brother in laws wireless and he couldn't understand why it wasn't working. He was in the router of a neighbors setup, securing it instead. (a police officer neighborhood)
            The next week, all four detectable were secured.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JSUPreston
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Montgomery, AL.
              • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I was visiting BIL over Thanksgiving. His WAP wasn't secured. Neither was any of the other 3 or 4 that I could get to. They were all installed by BellSouth and were apparently all in one wireless router/dsl modems. DAMHIKT!

If I were an evil person, I could have caused all sorts of damage, and probably would have never gotten caught. It is scary that even BS will put these things out like that. At least set it up with basic authentication.
              "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Which is yet another reason you should set up a firewall, and intrusion detection on your PC, not just your network...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

A honeypot can be fun too.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I know the risks in using an unknown connection. I view it as no different than using the connection at a coffee shop. So no personal or otherwise banking or other sensitive data. If somebody wants my BT3Central password, well then just watch for some strange posts from my account in the next few days. Plus my laptop is pretty well firewalled. More than most. I have my company's normal security then extra on top of that because I have confidential customer data on it.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• smorris
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

You might want to check your local laws, they arrest people for that down here if they catch them, and they do. It's stealing bandwidth. Yea, I've heard all the arguments that it not stealing, I happen to think it is and as a bonus I get paid to enforce that position.
                      --
                      Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• shoottx
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2008
                        • Plano, Texas
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by smorris
                        You might want to check your local laws, they arrest people for that down here if they catch them, and they do. It's stealing bandwidth. Yea, I've heard all the arguments that it not stealing, I happen to think it is and as a bonus I get paid to enforce that position.
                        +1

Not to be a stick in the mud, but my initial reaction since you are a bit of a computer wizard, is to go tell the neighbors about the risk they are taking, and then help them correct the problem.

Going to the coffee shop isn't all that bad!
                        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

Working...